Electrical for shed

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Electrical for shed

Postby haze » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Hey guys. Ive finally got around to finishing a boiler.

1.jpg

But i need to address the power situation in my shed. I know there are quite a few electrically minded people on here so i was hoping for advice. Currently i have 2 of Mac's elements each on 15amp plugs(not neccessary i know but i didnt like how normal 10amp cable got warm to touch). I want to have 2x15amp sockets on the wall.

Im lucky (i hope) because i have 3 phase power at 2 locations in my shed. Im wondering if i can get a sparky to replace one of the 3 phase wall plates with 2x 15amp sockets.

Now i wont be doing this work. I will call a sparky but i want to be specific with him on what i want and to double check that everything he does suits my needs.

Here is one of the ooooold school 3 phase points that i want replaced with 2x15amp.

3.jpg

Now.. my hope... Is that the sparky can utilise 2 of the phases from the old point and that each would be able to safely deliver 15amp. Am i thinking the right way here?

And next is this

2.jpg

I need some safety here. The top right is marked as lathe and is for the 3 phase point in question. Whats the safe way to go here.. breakers or RCD's or somethng? Should the old wire fuses stay and RCD's be added next to them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Re: Electrical for shed

Postby 8-ball » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:23 am

1: depends on the cable size and type
2: yes it is possible to change alot of guys won't but some will do it
3: you need rcds in there for everything I won't even work on a board that doesn't have them unless I'm installing them
4: where you located if your in Brisbane or surrounding and don't have a sparky I may be able to help you out
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby haze » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:15 pm

Thank you for the reply. Im in WA so bit far for ya but thanks

I guess i better get everything done then. Does that mean ill need 11 RCD's? 2xlight circuits, 3x10amp circuits and 6 for the two 3phase ?? This is gonna get expensive.

Will the RCD's act as circuit breakers so i can do away with the oldschool fuse's?

Im getting the feeling theres more power in this shed than most houses. Ive been told one of the old owners used this shed as a illegal vehicle chop shop of sorts till the cops raided him. Hence the lotsa power and the 6 fluro tubes mounted to the walls must have been for painting cars.
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:19 pm

haze wrote:Thank you for the reply. Im in WA so bit far for ya but thanks

Might as well add that to your profile now mate, it helps our members a lot when they can offer help knowing what state you're in :handgestures-thumbupleft:

By state I dont mean drunk, stoned or tripping either :teasing-tease:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:21 pm

you sir are a luck bastard .....wouldn't we all dream of having three phase in our sheds .

Cop the sparkies bill on the chin and then brag to us how big your boiler can be :D
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby 8-ball » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:45 am

haze wrote:Thank you for the reply. Im in WA so bit far for ya but thanks

I guess i better get everything done then. Does that mean ill need 11 RCD's? 2xlight circuits, 3x10amp circuits and 6 for the two 3phase ?? This is gonna get expensive.

Will the RCD's act as circuit breakers so i can do away with the oldschool fuse's?

Im getting the feeling theres more power in this shed than most houses. Ive been told one of the old owners used this shed as a illegal vehicle chop shop of sorts till the cops raided him. Hence the lotsa power and the 6 fluro tubes mounted to the walls must have been for painting cars.

Well no I would put the lights on 1
Power I'd put 2- 1cct on one and 2 on the other
2 for the 2 15amp
And your left with one 3ph one for the 3 ph that's left
I would also get rid of fuse's I hate them
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Return to Electrical Hardware