power board set ups

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

power board set ups

Postby Gerardd » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:09 am

Hi Folks

Has anyone got some advice or better still some pictures on power board setups, I am looking at setting up my shed with a panel with say 4 GPOs with maybe a manifold for cooling water but as I haven't bought my still yet I am not sure as to the amount of sockets and amps required. :think:
I will purchase a 5star pot still with keg boiler and run 2 x 2400watt elements, then of course there are cooling pumps controls for the elements etc.
I just want the work area super clean and organized and don't want cords running everywhere cheers for the advice :text-thankyoublue:
Gerardd

equipment: Looking to buy whisky still and learn the Craft

Re: power board set ups

Postby Brendan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Just remember that GPOs are generally on the same circuit...you will need to have multiple circuits put into your shed if you want to run multiple 2400W elements :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Gerardd » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Yeah thanks Brendan

I was thinking of getting a sparky to run a 2 new circuits should they be 15 amp and how many sockets would you recommend ? overall for pumps and other equipment
Gerardd

Postby northernbrewer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:49 pm

Depends on what else you want to run in the same room? are you going to ferment with heaters, run a fridge, recycle water etc etc. Write down everything that you will run and work out how many plugs you need from that and what amps you'll need for each plug.
northernbrewer

equipment: 5 L Super Reflux Still - Copper Packing, separate condenser and reflux cooling circuits
Braumeister Clone (for the beer guys) and 2 tap fridge

Postby Gerardd » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:46 pm

Yeah that's what I am not sure about I know I want to do grain washes and I have a fridge ready for fermentation so I guess the following plugs will be needed.
1) 2 x 15 amp for boiler ? or 1 ?
2 ) 1 x 10 amp for fermenter to run controller to heat and cool fridge fermenter
3) 1 x 10 amp for mash tun boiler
4 ) 1 x 10 amp for pump for pot still
5) maybe an extra 2 x 10 amp for ?

I should probably purchase all my equipment and work out the electrical side later but I have an opportunity to do a contra deal with an electrician ( client) and would prefer to have everything setup first so everything runs like clock work from day 1 that's just how my brain works :think:

You can be blunt and say WTF dude just buy your gear and work it out as you go but I am trying to avoid rookie mistakes and set up a nice clean setup :smile:
Gerardd

Postby 8-ball » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:19 am

One thing I suggest is over size everything if your going to run 15a elements run and use 20a plug and socket I found after a 3hrs of full power the plug top starting to soften on a 15a so I have installed 2x 20a sockets only cost a few dollars more to buy

Also don't just put enough gpo's in put more than you think you will need they will come in handy at some point

The other thing is has your shed already got power to it if it does you are limited to what size the shed submains are so it may be worth checking that out before you go buying all the stuff and find it uses to much power to be safe
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby Gerardd » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks 8-Ball

Bonus a client of mine is going to do the work turns out the house is 3 phase so he is going to run the 3 phase to the shed and put in sub board then I think 4 x 20 amp sockets and 4 x 10amp should do the trick.

Boiler 2 x 20amp for both elements
2 spare 20 amp
4x 10 amp for cooling pump etc. :dance: .
Gerardd

Return to Electrical Hardware