Power controller for elements

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Power controller for elements

Postby Shiftynev » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi guys,
Thinking of buying one or two of these to control heating elements (2400w, one for each) ,http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4000W-AC220V-SCR-Electric-Voltage-Regulator-speed-controller-light-dimmer-/301307538639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4627542ccf/ which is on ebay. Wondering if anyone has used these and if so, any thoughts. Have seen some which are cheaper but they don't come in metal box. Dont know much about electricity (and many other thing) and was wondering if this 220vunit will work in Australia which has a 240v supply. Would appreciate any advice, thoughts etc.

Cheers
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Re: Power controller for elements

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Hey shifty,
I bought a few of these and they seem to work ok. I had one on my other keg and it didn't miss a beat. I don't know how a little thing like that can take the power but it does. Others may have other experiences but hey for $7 i thought it was worth a try.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/0-220V-3800W ... 1c220204f6

Anyway good luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Shiftynev » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks Wood,

I'll order a couple, get a metal box from Jaycar as well as a voltmeter and see a sparky mate about putting it together.

Cheers
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:14 pm

I don't know about a metal box? Plastic would be better i recon.

I don't want to talk you in to anything, this was just my experience, i can't garentee them but hope they go ok for ya.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Shiftynev » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:43 pm

Only said metal because I assumed that the one you used was metal. Not really that big an issue. I assumed metal for grounding. I think I'll talk to my mate before or better still let him buy what's needed. Appreciate your advice and information and at the end of the day the cost is minimal so as they say, " nothing ventured nothing gained".
Shiftynev

Postby peterhobit » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Shiftynev, when I look at the one in your link and scroll down to the bottom of the page there is one from eachbuyer for $9.53
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby Shiftynev » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Thanks Pete, you've got a good eye mate. Cheers
Shiftynev

Postby Anthoney » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:34 am

An ammeter on the input side will be a better, linear, guide to the power being used than a voltmeter on the output.
With the voltmeter half volts is not half power. It is a non linear relationship. With input amps half amps means half power. It is a linear relationship.
Anthoney

equipment: Building a keg boiler with 7inch bubble ball under a 2" packed column with a 4" head. Just got started so not used it yet as not finished building it.

Postby phonetic » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:29 am

Power is proportional to the square of the current or voltage. eg:
P = I^2R
P = (V^2)/R
phonetic

equipment: DIY reflux still 900 mm column height, 15 litre wash, 2400w electric heating element, digital temp control.

Postby Mad » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:00 pm

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251609046730&alt=web

I have one of these on the way should do the trick
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby Hari » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi Shifty Nev.
Just a word of caution guys, get your Australian electrician to look at these before you buy one. I dont think they have an earth terminal and do not comply with Australian standards. If they do thats great, I will then get one.

Please let us know what your sparky mate has to say.
regards
Hari.
Hari

equipment: 50L - 50mm column still, with SS scrubber packing, cross flow reflux head for making vodka.

Postby 1 2many » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:55 pm

Hari wrote:Hi Shifty Nev.
Just a word of caution guys, get your Australian electrician to look at these before you buy one. I dont think they have an earth terminal and do not comply with Australian standards. If they do thats great, I will then get one.

Please let us know what your sparky mate has to say.
regards
Hari.

Yeah they do have an earth point on the metal case far left hard to see in the pic.

As for complying with Australian standards I doubt very much.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Triangle » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:47 pm

They're designed as a chassis or similar mount where the earth is achieved through the chassis and by earth bonding to this unit frame itself. Anything else is asking for trouble :scared-eek:
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby 1 2many » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Triangle Going Sick wrote:They're designed as a chassis or similar mount where the earth is achieved through the chassis and by earth bonding to this unit frame itself. Anything else is asking for trouble :scared-eek:

Correct, but i don't get what you mean by "Anything else is asking for trouble" :think:

Care to elaborate.

Edit: I think I figured it out, the earth screw I mentioned might not be up to the standard required to handle the current should the device fail.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Triangle » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:55 pm

1 2many wrote:
Triangle Going Sick wrote:They're designed as a chassis or similar mount where the earth is achieved through the chassis and by earth bonding to this unit frame itself. Anything else is asking for trouble :scared-eek:

Correct, but i don't get what you mean by "Anything else is asking for trouble" :think:

Care to elaborate.

Edit: I think I figured it out, the earth screw I mentioned might not be up to the standard required to handle the current should the device fail.

Yep, sorry I was thinking if someone decided to mount that unit inside a plastic box to create double insulation and not worry about the earth, the pot shaft would still be an issue. If like you mention it is in fact earthed but not correctly or well enough and there is a ground fault then the protective device will not trip and there becomes a potential difference between the steel frame and earth possibly above what is safe.
Triangle

Postby 1 2many » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:33 pm

This is the earth terminal I referred to before, I can't see why it couldn't be used.

I would rather that then no earth.

rsz_20150324_162754.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Meatheadinc » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:51 pm

1 2many wrote:This is the earth terminal I referred to before, I can't see why it couldn't be used.I would rather that then no earth.

:text-+1:

anywhere there is a solid connection will do.....
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby Triangle » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:28 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Looks fine. I'd assumed from previous posts there was no provision for an earth. All good.
Triangle

Postby Mad » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:45 am

Mine just arrived last week. Have been busy with other things to post but wired it up ran it and an hour into the run it had a catastrophic failure of the enth degree lol. Glad i had earthed it and was on an rcd. I had the 4000w rating and run a 3600w element - safe to say it overheated. They are resending a new one but I've also bought a 10000w
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby 1 2many » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Mad wrote:Mine just arrived last week. Have been busy with other things to post but wired it up ran it and an hour into the run it had a catastrophic failure of the enth degree lol. Glad i had earthed it and was on an rcd. I had the 4000w rating and run a 3600w element - safe to say it overheated. They are resending a new one but I've also bought a 10000w

Was it in an enclosed box Mad? did you have a fan on it? :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware