Element wiring

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Element wiring

Postby Beer Belly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:19 pm

Hey guy's,
Just to be straight up, i don't want to see the actual wiring of the elements, i just want to know what the type of cord it's wired with.
The reason for asking is, i got my elements from the electrician the other day and they just don't look right. They look cheap and nasty to me and the cord attached to my awesome elements looks as if it should be connected to a $20 stereo, thin and cheap. my mind started ticking over when he said "You better keep a good eye on them, it's rated to 10 Amps so it should be OK" Sorry cant post a pic yet, Forgot before i left home.
I don't want to melt everything to the floor if i can help it..

Cheers.
Beer Belly

equipment: FSD Equalizer Modular Still
100 Ltr FSD Pro Boiler.
2 x 2400w Elements
and some other bits and pieces.

Re: Element wiring

Postby Brendan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Get it changed mate...the fact you think it's thin and cheap says enough. The fact they're rated to 10A says even more! Your elements will be running constantly at 10A and therefore require a thicker gauge cable to handle the constant current. I can't remember the mm^2 numbers now, but you want a decent cable rated well above 10A!
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Dingo Charlie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:34 pm

Brendan wrote:Get it changed mate..

:text-+1:
Think of current rating as a fire rating, above this the cable will catch on fire or the insulation will heat up to unsafe levels.
2.5mmsq will carry 20A, but distance, voltage drop and insulation properties need to be considered.
Dingo Charlie

equipment: MAC 4" FSD Bubble Plate Still
FSD 4" packed section (full of copper mesh)
50L keg boiler
Twin 2400W Elements with power controller
1000L IBC and Pump

Postby stretch69 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:46 pm

I'm not sure if my cable is 10amp or more but I specifically asked the electrician to use cable that was high temp resistant. Its like a dull red color and I'm really happy with the quality.
You should get a receipt from him saying what work he did so he's accountable if something goes wrong
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby Brendan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Dingo Charlie wrote: :text-+1:
Think of current rating as a fire rating, above this the cable will catch on fire or the insulation will heat up to unsafe levels.
2.5mmsq will carry 20A, but distance, voltage drop and insulation properties need to be considered.

:text-+1: I'd add to that list duty cycle/load time...ie. is it running at 10A for 30secs, or 30mins...a 10A rated cable isn't made to run 10A continuously, and your sparky should/would know that.

Was just coming back to say mine are 2.5mm^2, which are rated to 20A as DC said.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:53 pm

If my sparkie ever said "it should be ok" I'd be wrapping the cord around his throat and calling WorkSafe to dob the bugger in for choking himself on the job
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Beer Belly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks for the input fellas, I'm getting my wife to send me a couple of pic's. I think you guys will shit bricks when ya's see them.
I know next to nothing about stills or elements but my gut feeling was " I'm sure I'll burn the house down with this lot..
Beer Belly

100 Ltr FSD Pro Boiler.
2 x 2400w Elements

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Mate go with your gut, go heavy cable. mine is 2.5mm aswell and will handle 20 amp no worries, they don't get hot or anything even on the 3600w element. The cable i ran from my power point to my power box is 6mm. It might cost a few bucks more but better to be safe than sorry and if you do it properly you should only have to do it once.

You should ask him if he would run that cable through his roof to his hotwater system, he might change his mind then.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Beer Belly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:10 pm

Here it is, the other one is the same....

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 10.20.41 am.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MacStill on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed picture & link
Beer Belly

100 Ltr FSD Pro Boiler.
2 x 2400w Elements

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:14 pm

Mate, leccy work is something I have only ever offsided (running cable through my shed etc) I would never touch it myself but am smart enough to know a shit job. Those gut feelings are pretty good to go by most of the time
Urrazeb

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Whoa dude.. :scared-eek: I'll let the leccy fellas take it from here but I wouldn't be plugging that in :naughty: :wtf:
Urrazeb

Postby Beer Belly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Yeah, absolutely gutted.... Wanted to do my first run when i got home, looks like I'll be running sweet FA!!!!!!!!

EEeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh.... :angry-banghead:
Beer Belly

100 Ltr FSD Pro Boiler.
2 x 2400w Elements

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:22 pm

Where about are you in the South West mate? I know a few sparkies and can get these wired up no probs at work :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If your real stuck you can have my two elements for a weekend.. I just gotta run this feints run that's been sitting patiently in the boiler.. all good this Saturday I reckon :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby Beer Belly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:31 pm

Urrazeb wrote:Where about are you in the South West mate? I know a few sparkies and can get these wired up no probs at work :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If your real stuck you can have my two elements for a weekend.. I just gotta run this feints run that's been sitting patiently in the boiler.. all good this Saturday I reckon :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sending PM buddy.. And thankyou... :D
Beer Belly

100 Ltr FSD Pro Boiler.
2 x 2400w Elements

Postby stretch69 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:36 am

Beer Belly wrote:[img][IMG]http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b616/IgotalongProng/IMG_1280_zpsa6304b7d.jpg[/img][/img]

Here it is, the other one is the same....

It looks like he's cut some cable of an old DVD player :handgestures-thumbdown:
I hope you didn't pay him much, that sucks!
stretch69

50l Boiler

Postby Matt_Pl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:53 am

Hey Bloke,

Im a sparkie but Im too far away to help you sorry mate.

Looking at that it appears to be .75mm cable which you would see plugged into the back of your dvd player/stereo.

I cannot tell just by looking at the picture but if thats the case 0.75mm cable is only good for 6Amps :handgestures-thumbdown:

I would insist that you rewire the the elements with 2.5mm orange circular cable as this cable has a higher current carring capacity and provides greater protection from mechanical damage when compared to TPS (Standard house wiring).

Good Luck.

MP
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:17 am

Geebuz ya wouldn't want that fella wiring up your house 8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby stretch69 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:25 am

You could ask him to change the cable on your DVD player :laughing-rolling:
stretch69

50l Boiler

Postby unsub » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:11 pm

No earth :o Yikes.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:29 pm

unsub wrote:No earth :o Yikes.

Yeah bloody scary alright.

Here's a wired element showing the earth lug.

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 10.24.11 am.png

You need to earth the element using a 3 core cable, the earth must be connected to the earth lug provided on the element guard

The so called sparky that wired those of yours Beer Belly needs a good kick in the balls :teasing-nutkick:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware