ssr damaged usable?

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

ssr damaged usable?

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:32 pm

Hey all my ssr-25 turned up yesterday and there is a small piece broken off it wondering is it still usable or should I seek a replacement? heres a pic

bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: ssr damaged usable?

Postby scythe » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:48 pm

Looks to only be a small piece of insulation.
its taken a hit in the post so i would try and get a replacement as you dont know what else may be damaged.
remember you paid for an item that was 100% not one that was 95% or even 99%.

Having said that tho its probably ok to use as is.
I'm not a sparky tho.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm

I have organised a replacement. The fact its a piece of insulation is what worries me not sure how thick it is on these devices. Would hate for it to leak electricity and zap someone. If someone with more knowledge on these could chime in would be appreciated. Thanks for the reply
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby drinka » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:31 pm

Mine arrived the same a few months ago. I just superglued it back on. Been working fine so far. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
drinka

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2 x 2400 watt FSD weldless elements,
2" s/s pot & 2" s/s CCVM

Postby Mcatac » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:42 pm

The piece of insulation that broke of is to give the terminal and relay an IP2X rating. That is the protection of approach by fingers and solid objects greater than 12mm.
The relay itself is solid state so no moving parts to get broken. Good that you have already organised a replacement, it can be a spare for later as the one you have will be fine if that is the only damage.
Just glue the piece back on and as it is going to be in an enclosure (I hope) with a lid you won't be able to stick your finger in anyway. Of course it goes without saying that should the lid be off your enclosure you will be disconnected from electrical supply.
It looks like a good SSR with a decent heat sink on it.
Mcatac

equipment: Still Spirits T500 reflux column
T500 boiler with voltage controller
Pelican Pot and parrot with a twist

Return to Electrical Hardware