Ibc water pump

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Ibc water pump

Postby Mad » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Looking at getting a 1000ltr pod to set up recirc system for runs instead of wasting water. Wondering what people prefer and suggested LpH ewtc internal/external... Variable flow? Simplest plumbing? This system might get elaborate but I doubt it as I do have a split ac that's died but the fan still works :) still trying to source my freebi IBC from work
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Re: Ibc water pump

Postby Atreu » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi Mad,

I run an IBC, and it is about 10 meters from where my still is. I use an Ozito 750W submersible pump and 19mm black poly irrigation hose - it has been extremely reliable for me (and bloody quiet!), and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Hope this helps
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Atreu

equipment: 5SD 4" 5 plate Bubbler with Packed Section... And an 8", 5SD inline thumper.

5SD carter head coming soon!!

Postby thedarkmesh » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:14 pm

Following this thread as I need to upgrade to a IBC, my current 120L bin with a 350w sub-pump gets hot to quick on the pot still. I have to use bags of ice for spirit runs as it gets 40-50c.
thedarkmesh

equipment: Turbo Boiler + 5 Star 4" Modular Still

Postby Mad » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:51 pm

Atreu how long and how many runs do you get out of it before water temp rises? I would have thought external pumps would be the people's choice interesting that its internal although I do get the quietness aspect mine will be directly at th fence near the neighbours house lol
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby Atreu » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:18 pm

I've only ever done single runs (just wait till the march pump gets installed! - Thank you Hilzabilly!! :D )

But, after a 7 hour run (1.5 hr warmup), it's a temp rise of less than 2°C. I recon a conservative estimate would be 3, 7 hr runs would be doable back to back. Or, 1, 100 ltr low wines run. :scared-eek:

Either way, it provides more than what the above average person needs. I can't see how anyone would need more. Either way, almost every week, I run 100 ltrs, and have done for the last few months... This cooling system has been solid, every. Single. Time.

100%, I recommend it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Oh, and it is quiet as fuck. Seriously. I struggle to hear it when I go outside. Can't hear it inside at all.
Atreu

equipment: 5SD 4" 5 plate Bubbler with Packed Section... And an 8", 5SD inline thumper.

5SD carter head coming soon!!

Postby Mad » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:25 pm

Wow that's big runs 100ltrs every week lol I thought I had problems :clap: I do 2x 50ltr strip runs then a sprint run for neutral. After these 3 it'll mainly be rum washes hopefully and just neutral every so often for top up sake
Mad

Postby bluc » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:29 pm

Currently use a 200l plastic barrel and an aquarium pump 1200l/h 2.5m head pump. I can strip 2 25l washs but thats about it or one t500 boiler half charge spirit run. Considering a car radiator or the evaporative cooling tower posted on this forum can run it on a 60l barrel :D . I like the idea of everything concealed in my shed rather than big tanks/pumps but may end up going down ibc route....
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Mad » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:47 pm

Well got my ibc doing a run now and all the waste is judt filling it up lol. Im scsred to see how full it is after few hours
Mad

Postby Mad » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Ok wow. Stripping 50ltrs tpw took 3hrs with the boka in full flight no chsnge to my old lil ss for a strip but slightly higher end result on the %. Anyway back to the point. 700ltrs of water collected over that 3hr period :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek:
I could maybe dial it back a notch or 2 im still working out the bokas details but wow gonna be saving on my water bills 4 sure!
Mad

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:34 pm

I never thought it woulb be that much. :o
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Mad » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:12 pm

Yup freaked me out. I put slower water on as soon as the element goes on so there is waste but its the safest way even with 1hr boil up time.
Mad

Postby Mad » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:58 pm

http://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-350w-submersible-water-pump_p4816179 so i've bought this pump. Slightly smaller than the 750w however the distance i have to run is much shorter than atreu. Probably only 2meters from the ibc thanks to a strategically placed window lol. Once i get some fittings during the week (didnt buy from bunnings due to frustration reasons) ill take a piccy of the setup and give it a try over coming wknd. Its specs deliver 7000lph with 5mtr head. I calculated on a household tap output of about 1200lph so should well and truely operate above requirements. Along with a 3yr warranty ill be holding them to :) all for $75
Mad

Postby Mad » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:50 pm

Well eyeball method failed me again slightly too wide to fit through the top. Atreu did u cut it out? Aure the 750 looked exactly the same.
Mad

Postby Mad » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Cut a hole threw some pipe in added some fittings and i must say its well and truely over rated for the flow i need lol. Its a rough job at the moment just wanted it in and running to try it out will tisy it up a bit and take some pics for everyone over the weekend. But i would suggest if you want to save some money and have a ahort run the 350w ozito is more than adequate for $75. Few fittings and pipe from bunnings whole lot comes in under $100.
Mad

Return to Electrical Hardware