Power Controller for 2kW T500 Boiler

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: Power Controller for 2kW T500 Boiler

Postby bluc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:39 pm

Pid is a temp controller that varies voltage :handgestures-thumbdown: will smear your output.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby tipsy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:53 am

bluc wrote:Pid is a temp controller that varies voltage :handgestures-thumbdown: will smear your output.

My PID controls a solenoid valve which controls the reflux condenser.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby WTDist » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:54 am

control the reflux temp to control the speed? i thought this might work like a T500 temp probe only a bit more automatic.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby tipsy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:22 am

WTDist wrote: i thought this might work like a T500 temp probe only a bit more automatic.

I don't know about a T500, never used one

WTDist wrote:control the reflux temp to control the speed?

I don't think about it as controlling the speed (although I guess it does). I think it as controlling and compressing the fractions.
e.g. if I know my heads come off at say 79°c I set the PID to that and start collecting them.
As the head cut diminishes the still starts to slow down and you can hear the solenoid click on off more rapidly as it tried to hold the temperature at 79°.
Once the output gets painfully slow I adjust the pid to my hearts cut then it all speeds up again.

The reason I don't think about speed it because I don't think my runs are any faster. The last vodka run I left it in heads mode for ages to "squeeze" as much heads out of my hearts cut as possible.

That's how I think about it anyway YMMV.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby WTDist » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:36 am

thats a good idea. ill look into it. may upgrade to one one day but im happy with the current one atm
WTDist

Postby Plumby » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:04 am

Hey guys just a quick question about the SCR, if I'm running a 2400w element is the 4000w scr fine to use or should I get a 9500w one?
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Professor Green » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:30 am

The 4000W one will be fine for a 2400W element.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Plumby » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:45 am

Awesome thanks Professor
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby SkinnyKyle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:29 am

My controller is complete! I ended up stealing a lot of WTDist's design but it ended up looking pretty schmick if I do say so myself!

The fan that I'd ordered was slightly too large so I've got another coming but my 5SD pot still hasn't arrive yet so I've still got a bit of time before the controller is required.

SkinnyKyle

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux
Five Star Distilling 4" Modular Pot with Gin Caddy

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:47 pm

Have another go at your pictures they didn't work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby SkinnyKyle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:26 pm

Damn, don't I feel like a fool.
I'm quite happy with how clean the front looks with the detachable IEC input plug. When the fan comes in I'll be mounting it in the bottom and have an output vent with dust cover at the top. I put everything on the front so that later on I can mount it on the wall if I like.
SkinnyKyle

Postby WTDist » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:03 pm

looking good, do you have the volt/watt/amp meter wired the same as i did with the analogue one in parallel with the element?
WTDist

Postby SkinnyKyle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:38 pm

Yeah, the Voltmeter is in parallel so it's all working and the ammeter is a ring you pop around the live wire. It's all working very nicely, even the watts output matches the boiler element label!
SkinnyKyle

Postby Jamie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi skinny Kyle, love the power controller look awesome,I an looking at using my t500 boiler as a pot still with the alembic dome and have learned that it will run to fast and to hot as standard,I have no idea about electronics or how to make something like you have could you advise what I need and who could make this as I don't want to kill myself in the process haha your guidance would be much appreciated thanks Jamie
Jamie

equipment: T500 and soon have a home built 2" pelican courtesy of the awesome blokes on here ( was going to be dumb and buy the alembic lol)

Postby Sam. » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Jamie wrote:Hi skinny Kyle, love the power controller look awesome,I an looking at using my t500 boiler as a pot still with the alembic dome and have learned that it will run to fast and to hot as standard,I have no idea about electronics or how to make something like you have could you advise what I need and who could make this as I don't want to kill myself in the process haha your guidance would be much appreciated thanks Jamie

Get the parts required in this thread and get an electrician to put it together and test it for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Previous

Return to Electrical Hardware