Sutronics controller issue

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Sutronics controller issue

Postby warramungas » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:30 am

I have a problem.
I use a sutronics burst fire controller (which i havent used in 10+ years but works fine with a work lamp) and connected to a 200 watt beer mate boiler. It doesnt work. It works fine connected to a work lamp and cycles fine but the boiler wont switch on. Not even the power light comes on.
I tried dsconnecting the boil dry switch and the light came on but the power didnt. It didnt heat up a cup full of water even with only a cupfull of water.
Sorry, pightly slissed. My night off. Gave up playing with the durned thing about 4 hours ago and decided to relax.
Seriously impeeding a ujssm spirit run. I ran one at 2000 watts and got a lot of smearing. Lots and lots of tails. Got very little hearts so waste of time trying to do more runs until i get the power under control.
This is the first flavoured run EVER so dont want to mess it up (anymore) with too much juice.
Does anyone know how to switch off the boil dry switch without killing the power. Durned If I know.
Cheers,
Warra
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Re: Sutronics controller issue

Postby warramungas » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:21 pm

Bump.
I notice other people are using the fairly cheap SCR controllers. Would these work on the boil a beer from pure distilling (I had the name wrong in the previous post)?
It doesn't seem to work with a BFC and I think the little electronic box inside the base is holding the burst fire back. Would it do the same with the SCR? Would it be safe to bypass the box entirely and wire the elements directly to 240 volt? It has 2 elements wired up together in tandem off the same supply. Can't get a photo at the moment as I'm at work for the next week but I've included a photo of the net.
I tried just disconnecting the little boil dry sensor but it threw it out completely and it wouldn't work at all.
I don't want to rewire the whole thing if its just a simple fix or simply getting a cheap scr off eBay. I have access to sparkies and tonnes of electrical wire for the wiring up but would need to fly the components to work.
Cheers,
Warra
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_pure_boiler.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Return to Electrical Hardware