BEST BUDGET HEATING/ELEMENT/VOLTAGE/AMP CONTROLLER

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

BEST BUDGET HEATING/ELEMENT/VOLTAGE/AMP CONTROLLER

Postby strongy12 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:38 pm

I have been thinking of a way to cut costs on a HEATING/ELEMENT/VOLTAGE/AMP CONTROLLER and the best I can come up with is this.

Find a old oven in working condition and strip the heating element controller/temp controller and all parts/wiring included that make it work.
Find a old computer or 2 and use the power supply as a enclosure, it already has a fan,lead and a outlet or a input(depends on which way you wire it)
Mount the oven temp controller and dial into the power supply box
buy (or rob from second computer) another input or output plug and lead and fit to the computer power supply box. (plug and play)
buy a amp/voltmeter and fit to power supply enclosure.

And your done

Admittedly this would be hard for most people that are not confident with circuitry etc (i am a sparky) but if you know a sparky and get the parts together it would take him less than a hour to make this work.

Just a thought for all the tight ass's like me out there. ill post some photos when i finish building.
strongy12

equipment: 4 inch bubbler

Re: BEST BUDGET HEATING/ELEMENT/VOLTAGE/AMP CONTROLLER

Postby Psykamaholik » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Except ovens work by using a simmerstat that just turns off when it gets to temperature and on again when the temperature drops below whatever it's threshold is. Also an oven's temperature range is significantly higher than what you run a wash at it will either keep hunting to find the temperature or just not turn off at all.

You ideally want to limit current which is expensive (at least last time I looked it up it was), the other controllers I've seen on here are based on voltage limiting instead to get a similar effect.

I'd be interested to see how it goes though. Keep us posted.
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby strongy12 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:24 pm

You are Correct most ovens do work off a simmer stat/ but i was talking with a few guys an site today and they seem to to think that some also work buy controlling the voltage. ill let you know what brand etc if i can find one.
strongy12

Postby Andy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:18 pm

mate voltage controls on-line are under $10

i started to wire mine in an old computer power box but with the voltmeter it didn't quite fit, so I used the only metal box i found in the house- a biscuit tin. still used the fan and used an old phone charger to power the fan. i doubt it needs the fan as the controller has a heat sink on it. its more precaution as it gets quite warm in summer in perth.

its ugly as sin but it works and is grounded.

i think all up the parts were $15 and took about 3 mins to wire up
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby warramungas » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:19 am

True they can be cheap but even one built out of all quality components wont cost much. Controller $10, box $5-10, wiring less than $10 new, wiring block a couple of bucks, 2 plugs are around $10 online. Less than $50 all up.
Playing with 240 volts and having billy lids around I want to know it to be safe and secure.
Funny thing actually. The sparky here uses a simmerstat when distilling. And another one suggested it as well. I wonder if its a sparky thing? :-D
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Andy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:40 pm

my wiring and plugs is an extension cord cut in half haha
Andy

Postby WalterWhite » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:43 pm

:text-+1: to all of the above.
My controller is basic and I paid over the odds for the parts because I have zero knowledge or experience with electrics and wanted it to be safe and right... It still only cost me $60 and took a couple hours to make.
Works perfectly and has the versatility for me to add bits to it as and when I feel the need.
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby WTDist » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:37 pm

BennyHiggo wrote::text-+1: to all of the above.
My controller is basic and I paid over the odds for the parts because I have zero knowledge or experience with electrics and wanted it to be safe and right... It still only cost me $60 and took a couple hours to make.
Works perfectly and has the versatility for me to add bits to it as and when I feel the need.

got a pic :text-lol:

Just kidding :))
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby WalterWhite » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:36 pm

:laughing-rolling: nice one WT .... :violence-stickwhack:
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby strongy12 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:05 am

Can you post a link to the parts you used guys

I have been looking for a PSR-25 and cant find one for under $100
then I guess add on another $40 for he rest of the gear. starting to get up there

Andy your $10 voltage controller, is it reliable and haw many times have you used it? I am getting mixed messages about those cheep voltage controllers and only want to build once>
Cheers
strongy12

Postby scythe » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:22 am

Look for am SSR instead.
Work the same for all intents and purposes and under $10
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:58 am

scythe wrote:Look for am SSR instead.
Work the same for all intents and purposes and under $10

:text-+1:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby warramungas » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:01 am

strongy12 wrote:Can you post a link to the parts you used guys

I have been looking for a PSR-25 and cant find one for under $100
then I guess add on another $40 for he rest of the gear. starting to get up there

Andy your $10 voltage controller, is it reliable and haw many times have you used it? I am getting mixed messages about those cheep voltage controllers and only want to build once>
Cheers

Well I used a couple off ebay but I always over engineer things. These were 15-20 buck each but you can get cheaper ones off ebay.
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_1(1).jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby punchy21 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:55 am

Depending on which way you want to go...

Here is the PSR25 from RS components at around $70, and

Here is the ebay equivalent with heatsink for around $13
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby strongy12 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, i think ill go the SSR with heat sink off ebay.
The only reason I was looking for a PSR cause I thought a SSR (Solid State relay) was used for switching things on or off only via a thermostat not actually controlling the voltage/amps via a potentiometer like a PSR.

You would think I should know being a electrician but I have never worked with control circuits, I only really do domestic work.

cheers again.
strongy12

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:01 pm

strongy12 wrote:Andy your $10 voltage controller, is it reliable and haw many times have you used it? I am getting mixed messages about those cheep voltage controllers and only want to build once>
Cheers

hey mate.
i haven't used it that many times- only about 4. but when I do it works a charm. i only use it on spirit runs, so its on for usually a 1.5-2 hour heat up time and 4 hours or so.
good luck with the controller build
Andy

Postby sp0rk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Just a word of warning
Oven elements will have a fairly high wattage density, meaning that the surface of the element will get very hot and any particulate matter will burn to it
This then builds up over time and will eventually lead to a hot spot due to the insulation from burnt on crud, and blow outs of the element occur
This is a problem with grain and molasses washes as there is usually solids floating around in them
The elements we usually use for distilling have very low surface density, and are much less prone to matter burning onto the surface
Buy once, buy right
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby strongy12 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:04 am

Thanks Andy

What I meant Sp0rk was to just use the voltage control gear out of the oven to control one of MACS elements or as i have a keg king one.

I have given up on this idea as i cant find a oven that doesn't work off a thermostat/simmer-stat.

I was probably a bit gun ho on my idea without researching it well enough.
I hope i have not mislead anyone too much.

sorry
strongy12

Postby EziTasting » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:12 pm

Not sure I'm alowed to post this (please remove if not!), but this was my plan that I learned on YouTube... Seemed simple enough.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Andy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:19 pm

EziTasting wrote:Not sure I'm alowed to post this (please remove if not!), but this was my plan that I learned on YouTube... Seemed simple enough.

nice video. though i wouldn't be buying from that supplier... ebay has the exact same elements without the 2000% mark up.
and i would prefer to have the neutral terminals as well
Andy

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware