BEST BUDGET HEATING/ELEMENT/VOLTAGE/AMP CONTROLLER

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: BEST BUDGET HEATING/ELEMENT/VOLTAGE/AMP CONTROLLER

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:57 pm

I had one of those untill it stoped working ~x(
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby EziTasting » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:43 pm

Thanx Andy,
It's amazing what can be learned on YouTube... And it seemed pertinent to the discussion.
The presenter also uses an STC-1000 (I believe)... Isn't that also a controller ... going off memory so may NOT be accurate.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby a_d_twomey » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:15 am

warramungas wrote:
strongy12 wrote:Can you post a link to the parts you used guys

I have been looking for a PSR-25 and cant find one for under $100
then I guess add on another $40 for he rest of the gear. starting to get up there

Andy your $10 voltage controller, is it reliable and haw many times have you used it? I am getting mixed messages about those cheep voltage controllers and only want to build once>
Cheers

Well I used a couple off ebay but I always over engineer things. These were 15-20 buck each but you can get cheaper ones off ebay.
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_1(1).jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_1.jpg

Can you add a link thanks.
a_d_twomey

equipment: Bubble pot still

Postby Sam. » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:54 am

a_d_twomey wrote:
warramungas wrote:
strongy12 wrote:Can you post a link to the parts you used guys

I have been looking for a PSR-25 and cant find one for under $100
then I guess add on another $40 for he rest of the gear. starting to get up there

Andy your $10 voltage controller, is it reliable and haw many times have you used it? I am getting mixed messages about those cheep voltage controllers and only want to build once>
Cheers

Well I used a couple off ebay but I always over engineer things. These were 15-20 buck each but you can get cheaper ones off ebay.
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_1(1).jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_1.jpg

Can you add a link thanks.

There were links in the post underneath the one you quoted, also how about an intro in the welcome centre so we know what you are after in this hobby and how we can help you ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Bumper » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Didn't want to create yet another controller thread, but would appreciate any advice on whether you need a power controller on a 50 or 100l + boiler. If a 50 has 2 2400w elements, can you get it to temp with 2 and then just run it with 1 or does the one still need power control? Looking at Mac's shiny 50's and 100's rather than a keg boiler.
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby warramungas » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:28 pm

The controllers not for the boiler. Its for the still and that will depend on which still it is. Some are happy to run on 2400 (or even 4800) watts without a controller while some others are not and you need to reduce accordingly.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Bumper » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:33 pm

warramungas wrote:The controllers not for the boiler. Its for the still and that will depend on which still it is. Some are happy to run on 2400 (or even 4800) watts without a controller while some others are not and you need to reduce accordingly.

Ok thanks. :think: I had thought that the power controller reduced voltage going to the elements, thereby giving control over boil rate to balance the still, but not the on off control that STC 1000's do for temperature. FSD neutraliser would be bolted up to it.
Last edited by Zak Griffin on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed reference to unwelcome mob
Bumper

Postby rumsponge » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Bumper wrote:Didn't want to create yet another controller thread, but would appreciate any advice on whether you need a power controller on a 50 or 100l + boiler. If a 50 has 2 2400w elements, can you get it to temp with 2 and then just run it with 1 or does the one still need power control? Looking at Mac's shiny 50's and 100's rather than a keg boiler.

2 x 2400 W is fairly common on a 50L boiler. Takes about 30-40min to get 40-45L up to boiling temps. Many people run it on 1 element, but I would recommend a controller to fine-tune the single element.
Some washes, particularly rum, tend to puke which can be minimized by reducing heat input.
cheers
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby Bumper » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:34 pm

rumsponge wrote:
Bumper wrote:Didn't want to create yet another controller thread, but would appreciate any advice on whether you need a power controller on a 50 or 100l + boiler. If a 50 has 2 2400w elements, can you get it to temp with 2 and then just run it with 1 or does the one still need power control? Looking at Mac's shiny 50's and 100's rather than a keg boiler.

2 x 2400 W is fairly common on a 50L boiler. Takes about 30-40min to get 40-45L up to boiling temps. Many people run it on 1 element, but I would recommend a controller to fine-tune the single element.
Some washes, particularly rum, tend to puke which can be minimized by reducing heat input.
cheers

Awesome, thanks. Makes sense, guessing bourbon would be even higher on the puke risk. Will factor in a build accordingly. Have been looking at a brand :shifty: kits, but will probably do a complete build from scratch with plug inputs like my STC100 box I built for my fermenting fridge so it isn't hard wired and I can swap it across multiple stills as needed.
Last edited by rumdidlydum on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed a mention of an unwanted crowd
Bumper

Postby WTDist » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:58 am

shifty kit hey :))
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Bumper » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:39 pm

WTDist wrote:shifty kit hey :))

Lol - apparently!
Bumper

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:18 pm

Look, guys, you know the rules regarding these other shit still suppliers. Mac and Sue have put a lot of time and money into this forum and I don't think it's too much to ask to support them and Five Star Distilling in return.

You've been warned.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby HiString » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:45 pm

Zak,

Please don't take this the wrong way as I sincerely appreciate the people behind this forum. We are in a big country with what appears to be only two dedicated suppliers of distilling equipment, who I suspect at one stage had a "falling out". If that's the case, it should be left as something between Mac and *#@#^#, not something that mods get involved in.........maybe it's time they made an effort to communicate and reconcile their differences, I believe our hobby would be all the better for it.

My opinion is based on many, many years of moderating on audio recording forums where I've seen more crap unnecessarily go down than you would want to believe.

Now sitting back waiting for "whatever".
HiString

Postby WTDist » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:32 pm

Im not disagreeing, i thought it was a funny imoge replacement like that guy who had his name changed to irritable by Sam :laughing-rolling:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Kenster » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:54 pm

Politics aside, is it permissible to share Ebay (info) ie. purchases on this site, or does it kind of contravene the aim of this site, to keep stuff in house. This is a genuine question and not meant to rile anyone whatsoever.
I unashamedly buy stuff on Ebay, for my brew needs cos i am prepared to wait for delivery and the costs are insanely cheap compared to our suppliers here in Vic.(Not 5Star)who is a superior kettle of fish as far as i am concerned.
Regarding the voltage controller (on Utube) 20 bucks, he says, is 7-00 for the exact one on Ebay...thats my point. For that price, you buy 2, if one carks it, most of the stuff i have bought is pretty darn good.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:59 pm

HiString wrote:Zak,

Please don't take this the wrong way as I sincerely appreciate the people behind this forum. We are in a big country with what appears to be only two dedicated suppliers of distilling equipment, who I suspect at one stage had a "falling out". If that's the case, it should be left as something between Mac and *#@#^#, not something that mods get involved in.........maybe it's time they made an effort to communicate and reconcile their differences, I believe our hobby would be all the better for it.

My opinion is based on many, many years of moderating on audio recording forums where I've seen more crap unnecessarily go down than you would want to believe.

Histring,
Its not going to happen, deal with it or move on your choice.
If you are going to push mods or admin be prepared to be pushed back.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:01 pm

HiString wrote:Zak,

Seeming the date when you joined this forum I reckon you would be very well aware of the "falling out".

We do not give them any air time here, if you want to make this an issue then you can be gone with them. There are other places for their customers to discuss things distilling, not here.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:07 pm

Kenster wrote:Politics aside, is it permissible to share Ebay (info) ie. purchases on this site, or does it kind of contravene the aim of this site, to keep stuff in house. This is a genuine question and not meant to rile anyone whatsoever.
I unashamedly buy stuff on Ebay, for my brew needs cos i am prepared to wait for delivery and the costs are insanely cheap compared to our suppliers here in Vic.(Not 5Star)who is a superior kettle of fish as far as i am concerned.
Regarding the voltage controller (on Utube) 20 bucks, he says, is 7-00 for the exact one on Ebay...thats my point. For that price, you buy 2, if one carks it, most of the stuff i have bought is pretty darn good.

There's an easy way to work out what's okay and whats not.
Read the forum rules on advertising, then go to the 5 star store, have a look at every single product they sell.
Now you know what they sell don't put up a link to where you can get a different one.
Simple :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Just remember if the mods admin think it shouldn't be there they will remove it, you can pick up quite quickly whats accepted and whats not. Just remember though if your posts are constantly edited for infringements we will go through the three strikes.
rumdidlydum

Postby Bumper » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Apologies, I hadn't read the advertising thread and wasn't looking to shit stir, it was a genuine post. As stated, had looked at kits as part of this but will do my own build as I did with my STC 1000.

o:-)
Bumper

Postby Bumper » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:59 pm

Sorry, this has bugged me a little, prompting a follow up post. I am am a little surprised at the voracity of the responses from mods. I didn't post a link, I just mentioned a brand. I was not aware of any issues between providers, but clearly am now. Others are able to post links to ebay on this issue. I am looking to purchase a mac still, and will still do so as the quality is clearly the best in Oz, and have made direct enquiries towards this. As mods advise, I will go elsewhere for equipment reviews and to ask newbie questions.

Cheers all.

B
Bumper

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Hardware