Electrical cable size for elements

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Electrical cable size for elements

Postby Shiftynev » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:54 am

I want to extend the cable length for my FSD 2400w elements (to 5 meters) which would allow me more flexibility in the shed and was wondering which of these cables I should get from bunnings. The first is http://www.bunnings.com.au/olex-3-core- ... e_p4430135 with a conductor size of 1.5mm and the other is http://www.bunnings.com.au/olex-2-5mm-o ... -_p4430139 (really three core) with a conductor size of 2.5mm.

My preference would be the first given its flexibility, but if my memory serves me correctly, 2.5 mm is the preferred option.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would ask my sparky mate but he’s on holiday overseas.

Cheers
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Re: Electrical cable size for elements

Postby Psykamaholik » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:45 am

2.5mm squared and make sure you dont attach it as an extension, run new cable all the way and have it tested by a sparky before powering up
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby Shiftynev » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:53 am

Thanks Psyk,
Much appreciated. I thought that may be the case given the look of the cable. I was think more along the line of the cable from the element to the power point. Would the heavy duty flex cable mentioned in the origianl post be ok as an extention?
Thanks
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Postby scythe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:05 am

2.5mm is your friend.

Its only a dollar or so price difference so i would (and have) gone for 2.5mm for elent wiring/cables.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby WTDist » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:29 am

im not fussed on heavy duty. basically its a thicker rubber around the cable. are you going to be dropping stuff on it and driving on the cable? or treating it good. i used the 2.5mm in my build
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Return to Electrical Hardware