PID Controller Questions

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

PID Controller Questions

Postby WTDist » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:01 pm

Im wondering how a ID controller can help us here. I have no knowledge on it but was advised by my mate who checked my SCR controller that i should use a PID in the future. something about errors and set points?

What does a PID do exactly that my SCR doesnt and are they worth while? my mate started telling me but it wasnt my English, dumb english :laughing-rolling:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: PID Controller Questions

Postby Peregian » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:46 pm

I am at present making up a control box with a PID, I am no expert on PID's but this explanation may help.

There are 3 main items #1 the PID, #2 temperature probe, #3 SSR controller.

The temperature probe is placed at the top of the distilling column and then wired into the PID.

The PID is wired to the SSR.

The PID is the central control unit using temperature probe data to switch the SSR on/off as it controls the heating element, a PID is like a mini computer, you can change many of it's settings to control the column temperature.
Say as you start a distilling run and you want the column temperature to stabilize and hold at 76 C while you set things up, you can set the PID to do just that. When you are ready to start collecting, up the temperature setting on the PID and the drops will start to flow.

All the time the PID is controlling the SSR and the operator is setting the the temperature required by adjusting the PID. The PID also has alarms that can be set to warn of over/under temperatures.

This is a very simple view of a PID but by doing a Google search you can find heaps of info.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Postby WTDist » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:33 pm

cheers. my mate was mentioning monitoring the temperature. I think i may look into adding a PID for a future upgrade to my controller along with a metal enclosure. Ill do some research :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Im wondering though. holding a temperature is one thing in a column but how does this affect speed as you can have low wines at 1l/h and 5l/h and both be the same temp. i can see how it can hold tails back maybe but im unsure of the speed part.

ill do some googling when i get a chance
WTDist

Postby WTDist » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:06 pm

thinking about it now. if i was going to run off temps and not have it smear as column temp can be the same at various output speeds, i would maybe consider going on temp of reflux water out. Like the T500 only with a PID. output is monitored by the person with a T500 and temp settings and you could use a PID for this. set the reflux water temp you want that allows a certain speed and as the run progresses you can rise the temp to allow for the same output rate

Just a though
WTDist

Return to Electrical Hardware