Insulated connectors

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Insulated connectors

Postby Shiftynev » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:09 am

Guys where can I buy insulated crimp connectors rated to at least 10 amps.Went to Jaycar but they weren't sure what their connectors would handle.

Thanks
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Re: Insulated connectors

Postby maddogpearse » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:48 am

i usually solder the crimp on ones just to be sure. But what's wrong with the good old fashioned trial and error trick? If they can't handle it, they will hand in their resignation!
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby Shiftynev » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks but no thanks Maddog, trial and error is not something I feel comfortable with when it comes to electricity. Don't really want to have to build another shed, if I trial and experience an error lol.

Cheers
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Postby 1 2many » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:05 pm

Shiftynev wrote:Thanks but no thanks Maddog, trial and error is not something I feel comfortable with when it comes to electricity. Don't really want to have to build another shed, if I trial and experience an error lol.

Cheers

:text-+1: spot on better to use suitable equipment rather than take a risk.

Don't take electrical appliances for granted it will eventually bring you undone. ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby andybear » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:46 pm

you can get them from any electrical wholesaler. As for rating, if its big enough for a 4mm wire then its whatever the 4mm wire can handle. You can even get them from ebay, but you'll have to wait for delivery. Using a good crimping tool is important too and using it correctly. I've seen them pull out even on appliances. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby xcvator » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:57 am

Middendorps
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Postby warramungas » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:30 pm

The ones I used (borrowed :D ) from the electrical workshop were in packets and didn't have a rating written on them. As long a they are good quality and solid connectors they should be fine. Also, make sure you get the ones that the insulation extends over the connector itself (the whole connector should be under plastic) so you wont need to shrink wrap it later. You don't want it shorting if by some chance one of the connectors comes off.
Red is usually for smaller wires (takes 2mm, wont fit 4 mm), blue for slightly larger (comfortably takes a 4mm wire) and yellow for if you want to combine 3 or 4 wires together (or 2 x 4mm). This is what I found but I guess colours may vary between brands. Not sure as all the boxes of stuff I used (and there were lots of boxes) were red blue or yellow.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby WTDist » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:14 pm

i got mine from jaycare, insulated. told them it was for 240V 2.5mm cable and what it was connecting to.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Shiftynev » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks Warra,
What you've stated is what my research has shown. In terms of capacity they go from red, blue and yellow. With yellow being the highest/biggest. These are usually coated in pvc and whilst considered insulated they are not fully insulated (which requires coverage of the entire terminal) as you mentioned. Fully inssulated/covered terminal also appear to have a higher temperature rating and what Ill be using to connect my elements to the power lead, given they will be enclosed in the element guard and may be exposed to higher temp.

For those that are interested I have attached a page from a catalogue that explains the ratings etec and have also inclued a link to the catalogue (about 10 pages) which included further specific details.
Insulated Crimp terminals .pdf

The link to the catalogue is http://www.rdtechnology.com.au/SiteFile ... _Insulated Crimp terminals Catalogue - 100211.pdf

This is what I have found and whilst in the perfect world, one could safely rely on the accuracy of the colour code used, as a sceptic (Compliance and Risk Management Consultant by profession) and realist, I would use this as a guide only. Visual inspection of the quality of the terminal/crimps is a must. I've seen some shitty crimps in the last couple of days.

Probably being anal about this but I hope its useful to others. By the way I have no interest in or affiliation with the people whose catalogue i refer to above.

If the Mods wish to remove then thats fine with me.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shiftynev

Return to Electrical Hardware