STC 1000 for Mashing and Fermenting

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

STC 1000 for Mashing and Fermenting

Postby WTDist » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:02 pm

going to make a temperature controller for a fermenter down the track. Was pointed in the direction of a STC1000.

just read this page about making one

I understand it turns the power on and off as needed to maintain the set temp. this will be good for a fermenter heat belt.

im also wondering if it will work with a FSD 2.4kW element? they have temp ranges from around -50 degrees to 99 degrees so i dont see why it shouldnt work. wanting to use it for mashing as well (All grain BIAB). might help maintain temp while converting sugars. and i wont need gas :handgestures-thumbupleft:

what do the experienced think. is this a good way to mash?

cheers
WTD
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: STC 1000 for Mashing and Fermenting

Postby warramungas » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:15 pm

Just finished my second standalone one yesterday. Literally. Piece of piss to wire up with a wiring block. But going to use the cooling/heating for a small brew fridge setup.
I intend to use the one in my multi controller for mashing in the next few days and don't see why it shouldn't work. Plenty of people in the home brewing scene (web chats/blogs/forums) use them.
Cheap and easy and will handle 10 amps (2400 watts). Also if you set up both cooling and heating you might be able to use it as a fermenter temp control later on if you want to go down that path. Shame you got rid of your power controller as you could piggy back that through it so you're not chucking 2400 watts into the wort to maintain the temp (only needs a tickle to keep temp up) .
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby bayshine » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:32 pm

yep i use one for mashing and my brew chamber and works well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby sp0rk » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:21 pm

It should be ok for an element that's in the mash tun
no good for HERMs or RIMS though (will work ok, but not well if you're trying to hit certain temps for mash profiles)
the STC will switch off at the set temp, but you'll continue to have temp rises after that
a PID will do a far better job, but the STC will work ok
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby WTDist » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:43 am

cheers sport and bayshine. ill look into both. maybe i can make a whole new controller to controll everything. depends what my budget is and that isnt set yet :?

how do the PID and STC differ?
WTDist

Postby bayshine » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:54 am

im using mine for herms and i have an analogue thermo after it and one in the mash tun and its only ever over shot temp by half a degree so i havnt bothered hooking up my pid yet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby WTDist » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:15 am

Ill be using the element in the bottom of the keg, as low as i can go perhaps? might have a false bottom in it above the element so the grain bag doesnt touch the element. ill try suspend the bag first though and if i cant ill have to use a removable false bottom.

Since it will be in the bottom of a keg with the top cut off (try use the top as a lid) will it matter about the temp differences, i mean will it be fairly accurate? i wont be using a herms. when im more experienced i might look into building a herms but at this time i dont know how they work and im a noob with grains.

Im sure it would be a step up (is it?) from just wrapping the keg in blankets for an hour or so to insulate it? using the element to hold it steady with a STC, and a few blankets too of course for safe measure :-D

cheers
WTD
WTDist

Postby WTDist » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:27 am

warramungas wrote: Shame you got rid of your power controller as you could piggy back that through it so you're not chucking 2400 watts into the wort to maintain the temp (only needs a tickle to keep temp up) .

havent got rid of it yet but it will be going with the still. basically everything someone needs to get into distilling... EVERYTHING :shock:

got a price in my head. still a few weeks till its gone. gotta solder on some threaded bush things for the RC water in/out pipes for whoever gets it so its more functional with fittings or that braided hose stuff (which i intended on using but never got) and attach a last easy flange to 2 spots after PC. clean and sand her up (no polish :)) ). all after last run, final vinegar cleaning run, then its all finished properly and going.

The shock hasnt hit set in yet :laughing-rolling: been heavily into planing for my AG mashing and beer :))

as for the controller :? i may still make a new one yet or incorperate it into the STC box :think: . depends on my budget
WTDist

Return to Electrical Hardware