Question for the Leccy's

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Question for the Leccy's

Postby Undertaker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:42 am

I use one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4000W-220V-S ... 3aaee8833c for my still. Its advertised as a 4kW SCR voltage regulator. I have it connected to a single 3.6 kW element. My question is does it use the full 3.6kW when i'm running at lower power settings, or does it actually reduce the power consumed?

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Re: Question for the Leccy's

Postby wiifm » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:21 am

It reduces the power consumed. An SCR is just a really fast switch, so when the switch is 'off' there is no power being consumed by your heating element.
wiifm

equipment: 4 plate glasser using FSD bubble caps

Re: Question for the Leccy's

Postby Undertaker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:33 am

Thanks mate! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Return to Electrical Hardware