Buggered scr?

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Buggered scr?

Postby mark-gabb » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Hey guys

So I bought one of these which arrived last weeks and thought I better test it before installation

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161089021313?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When testing across the terminals I tested for resistance with dial all the way to the left... Came up at L which basically is no connection.
Thought cool that should be right.
When I turned the dial all the way to the right it still said L

Does this mean I've got a dodgy out of the box, or do I not understand my theory as well as I thought I did
mark-gabb

equipment: T500 turbo reflux still

Re: Buggered scr?

Postby Peregian » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:47 pm

I have a unit similar to yours and it has been working well for about 18months. The unit may need the AC connection to setup the switching. Very easy to setup and try out, you can hear the element noise go up and down as the knob is turned or wire a light globe up to it and check.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Postby rumsponge » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:59 pm

give it a proper try with a load.
I have a similar one, when I only connected a voltmeter to the outputs and 240V mains to the input, the voltmeter would always read 240V no matter what I did to the potentiometer.
I think they require a proper load to work... but a sparky may have a better answer...
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby warramungas » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Same. Tested with a Sparky and it seemed faulty. Wired it up and it worked perfectly.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby mark-gabb » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:35 pm

Funny story.... When wiring up the scr I accidentally broke the fused link....thus why all tests came back faulty

Damned stupid thing

Link now bypassed and with a proper fuse on order to put in the wall of the base
Thinking I will have to install a fan in base or come up with a new solution as I think the heat in the base may get too high for the scr to be in there

Would of looked cool though
mark-gabb

Postby Andy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 pm

i never understand how to wire them up as there are only the two screw terminal. the 4 screw terminals are easy. N and L in N and L out.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby mark-gabb » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:39 pm

Really simple really just cut the active wire then join them across the terminals
mark-gabb

Postby caspian » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:38 am

correct, the N-N terminals are just a passthrough anyway.
caspian

equipment: T500 boiler and copper pot still head

Postby mark-gabb » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:23 pm

My 6 years of working with a sparky when I was younger is finally paying off
mark-gabb

Postby Pigswell » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:35 pm

I would be careful use one of these SSR not heavy duty enough for an element. Have a look at the gear from WWW Tobins
Pigswell

equipment: working on it again - 50 litre SS Keg-- modular head one reflex-- New potstill in progress

Postby mark-gabb » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:02 pm

Hey pigswill...yeah I know they rent great. I've got a temp probe on the scr atm to check for overheating

Not using a ssr, as I'm not actually switching at all, just increasing and reducing voltage gradually....from what I understand when using pot still temperature really doesn't mean much as it changes so I'm going with. Simple resistance idea and il watch he flow rate for adjustment,

I think I have this right but anyone with the knowledge is welcome to tell me I'm an idiot
mark-gabb

Return to Electrical Hardware