STC1000: High Power Load

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

STC1000: High Power Load

Postby WTDist » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:09 am

So my SCT1000 came yesterday and i want start wiring it up soon. I know exactly how to do it, seen online and the instructions spoon feed it to you.
I want to use it to mash as well, wanted a PID but that is outa reach for the time being so this will suffice in the meantime. it has a temp range of plus/minus 1 degree between -50-70 degrees C so thats fairly accurate, not 100% but close. Mainly for fermenters though :handgestures-thumbupleft:

One thing im wondering on is how i go about making it able to handle the power while heating up in mashing. I will use it with my power controller (on a low power setting) simultaniously when mashing so once its up to temp and switching on/off (or how it works) the power-in is small so it doesnt overshoot temps. But while its heating up i would like it on full power, then dial it back once at temp.

Ive seen somewhere in a pic that they had an SCR for the high power. Im wondering what this is needed for and how i would go about wiring it up. Saw it on a Big W page or something. Once again i will get it checked, by the inlaws elecy this time, not same mate as before. It will be good for me to know this too, im studying power engineering so this will be right up my alley one day

Heres the specs from the instruction sheet... and this is the link to ebay page
2016-04-08 09.02.10.jpg

Safety first always :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cheers
WTD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: STC1000: High Power Load

Postby warramungas » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:38 am

Not sure exactly what you're asking. The stc is just a switch. On/off only. It doesn't control power levels at all.
However I use mine in conjunction with my scr to run my boiler at lower power levels when I need to. All my power controllers are in the one box so I use power into the stc, power out of stc into scr using a male to female adapter and the power out of the scr into the boiler. All my connections use 10 amp computer cables. It will control to temp at a lower power output then.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby warramungas » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:44 am

warramungas wrote:Not sure exactly what you're asking. The stc is just a switch. On/off only. It doesn't control power levels at all.
However I use mine in conjunction with my scr to run my boiler at lower power levels when I need to. All my power controllers are in the one box so I use power into the stc, power out of stc into scr using a male to female adapter and the power out of the scr into the boiler. All my connections use 10 amp computer cables. It will control to temp at a lower power output then.

It wont overshoot on a boiler of water as it takes a lot of energy to raise the temp by 1 degree.
Once you're up to initial mash temp you can lower the power via the scr to maintain the temp without boiling the nuts out of it.
Oh, and it will only take 10amps. Plugging it into something that takes more will blow it up and using an scr before the 15 amp element to throttle the power back for the stc is just asking for trouble.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby WTDist » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:46 am

Sounds exactly like how i was thinking of how to do it, i use an SCR too. Just wasnt sure if i needed to add in something different.
This is my controller here
http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8659&start=60#p153279

So when its heating it up. If i have the power into STC then out to SCR then into boiler (STC and boiler will have SCR in between their connection), will the SCT handle full power while im heating it up to 60 degrees, being an on/off switch i assume it may handle it but i just want to make sure as heat up can be an hour maybe.
WTDist

Postby WTDist » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:49 am

Cool cheers
WTDist

Postby WTDist » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Think im sold on a PID... Been searching on AHB in the electrical threads with STC's and PID's and looks like PID is the go for beer, which is what ill be using it for, STCs get a good wrap for fermenting and fridges but not with mashing and hitting exact temps.

Oh well, its only another $25 i need the missus to agree to on top of everything else :?
WTDist

Return to Electrical Hardware