Blower

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Blower

Postby Undertaker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:43 pm

Completely not still related.
I have a blower that I would like to make infinatley speed variable. Can someone tell me if it can be done and what I might need to do this?
Its 240VAC, is 250 mm long about 200mm dia in the centre and 100mm dia inlet and outlet.

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Re: Blower

Postby scythe » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:59 pm

I'm not a sparky , but could you not use a controller like what we use for elements?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:06 pm

Try googleing hydro fan speed controller ;-) .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Kenster » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:30 pm

Phil, just get a voltage regulator from China, around 8 bucks. Pretty good item, heat sink, fuse .. all good...all you need to do is buy a $3-50 junction box from Middys to insulate/house it and u r right to go.E bay have heaps...
It will regulate between(almost) zero and 240v...any thing in between is up to you.
I have one works great.
Ken
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:52 pm

For the small amount of power required (not suitable for element control),I donot think you will find a cheaper or easier option, or one that does not need a licenced lecky ta wire up https://www.google.com.au/search?q=hydr ... DCoQsxgIEw ,$42 bucks ready ta go sounds good ta me,cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Kenster » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:13 pm

Hillz, all in good faith, but do we all have a licensed sparky check our boiler builds (element fitouts etc.) not sure if we do. I know that i would not employ a sparky to cut one active wire, join it to a terminal block and ensure it works. I am just being a bit pedantic with this subject, cos i know we all do the right thing, legally, in this hobby of ours.
Strictly speaking, what you suggest is absolutely true and i do not condone practices which may impact on safety of our members.
Just had to mention it, no disrespect meant.
But really, a $7-00 controller....shit easy.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:18 pm

Why mention it?

8. Legality of home distilling

Home distilling in Australia is currently illegal without a license. As such we endeavor to promote the responsible way to distill spirits at home for personal consumption. Therefore we do not condone selling or bartering spirits. We also do not condone any other illegal activity that members may partake in. If anyone member is found to be selling spirit or posting about other illegal activities there account will be terminated.

If we want this hobby to become legal in the future it needs to be done responsibly and safely.

I think the last sentence sums it up nicely.

Do you want to tell someone to wire something 240v themselves only to have them fuck it up then kill themselves next to their hobby still? Would look rather good in the news for Aussie home distillers :angry-banghead:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kenster » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:19 pm

you are absolutely right, just couldnt help myself...was a stupid post on my behalf...genuine and sincerest apologies for the implications.
should keep my opinions to myself...
Kenster

Postby Yurugaboy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:59 pm

HI,
I recognised these fans. We import them. They are a 2 speed fan you can use a high low switch or set it on high and use a VA type speed controller dimmer.Ask any Elec Wholesaler. or pm me. They will do up to 1.7amps and this fan is not even close to that.
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby Swedish Pride » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:38 pm

use it as airsupply to a forge
Swedish Pride

equipment: Pot on keg
6" rat rod column

Postby Undertaker » Thu May 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Actually Yurugaboy I pinched an old ceiling fan controller and wired that in. Works great
Swedish Pride wrote:use it as airsupply to a forge

Ummmm, have you been nosing around my shed? :o

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Return to Electrical Hardware