Temp controller thermostat for $10

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Temp controller thermostat for $10

Postby andybear » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:49 pm

I bought this thermostat off eBay for just under $10 and it works a treat. I've had it going for a week already with no problems yet. The centre reading is the actual temp and the left is the lower temp when it switches on and the right is the upper temp when it turns off. It also comes with the rtd temp probe on a one meter cord. A bit longer would have been better but none are on offer.
It takes 240 V as a power supply so no additional transformer is required. And I joined the supply to the output. The unit is small so I decided to just make a wooden box for it from some scrap bits I had lying around. The unit works by switching a relay that they claim can handle up to 10 amps. My heaters are 20 and 80 watts so that's less than half an amp combined.
I hope this helps someone who is thinking of getting a simple and cheap temp controller for their fermenter. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Re: Temp controller thermostat for $10

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:00 am

Nice, got a link for it?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby andybear » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Nice, got a link for it?

Yep, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-220V-10A ... uiaxZNLUhw
be sure to select the voltage input to 240volt otherwise you'll need a 12v charger/supply.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Icefever » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:36 pm

Do you wire in the heater tube and the fridge into the device??? I have two fermentaion fridgees one I've had for around 5/6 years and it's controlled by an ATC 800 +. Never had any problems with it, but the unit only works on a +/- 1c.....sometimes this will rise well over 1.5 or 2 c.

I ordered a STC 1000 from Hong Kong a few weeks back for my 2nd fridge......wired it up and there's something that's not correct...the heater comes on....but the fridge will try to switch on as well.

I read on a beer forum a few years back were guys sent for the STC1000....only to have this promlem, but can't find it. I'm still playing with it but now I've seen the one you have I may send for one. They post to the UK...do you have a wiring dia that you used?? just so I can get my head around it.. :smile:
Icefever

equipment: Started off with an Airstill, got the bug now starting on building my own.

Postby warramungas » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Icefever wrote:Do you wire in the heater tube and the fridge into the device??? I have two fermentaion fridgees one I've had for around 5/6 years and it's controlled by an ATC 800 +. Never had any problems with it, but the unit only works on a +/- 1c.....sometimes this will rise well over 1.5 or 2 c.

I ordered a STC 1000 from Hong Kong a few weeks back for my 2nd fridge......wired it up and there's something that's not correct...the heater comes on....but the fridge will try to switch on as well.

I read on a beer forum a few years back were guys sent for the STC1000....only to have this promlem, but can't find it. I'm still playing with it but now I've seen the one you have I may send for one. They post to the UK...do you have a wiring dia that you used?? just so I can get my head around it.. :smile:

Looking at the back of that it only does heating OR cooling. Not both so good for heatin in cool climes or cooling in hot ones.
I like the stc and have two of them because it can do both heating and cooling if you need it to.
Ice fever- can you show how you've wired it up? Maybe a photo in another topic so this isn't cluttered? Are you confident you've got it wired up the right way? I stuffed mine the first time by wiring in the neutrals into the switches.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby andybear » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:43 pm

I had a look at your STC controller. It should turn your heating and cooling on and off as needed. Look at this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220-240V-Dig ... xyni9TGSEn for the connection diagram you need to use.
My controller will only do one output so only heating or cooling.
The connection diagram I followed is attached. I hope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andybear

Postby Icefever » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:39 pm

@ Warramungas...I thought this, just works on one unit....we're away this weekend but when we get back home I'll post a new thread with a photo or two.

@ Andybear....I've followed the dia that they send with the unit...but as I posted some units came wired wrong....if I remember right the two circuits were crossed over....and the other guys just switched the heater and fridge over and it worked ok.
Icefever

equipment: Started off with an Airstill, got the bug now starting on building my own.

Postby WTDist » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:05 am

Have you got some wires crossed. you mentioned the heater and fridge coming on simultaneously. I wired one up myself a while back and it works flawlessly.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:51 am

I also have one in my salami fridge it,s been running few years
It turns on to cool and if it overshoots depending on the setting the heater comes on
Just about to order some more for controlling the hot house
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Return to Electrical Hardware