Jaycar voltage controller?

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Jaycar voltage controller?

Postby Bumper » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:45 pm

This looks like a viable ready made voltage controller, certified. I know everyone here builds their own, but with the cost of a sparky out to certify, it seems like a viable option.

Thoughts?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/0-260vac-varia ... a/p/MP3080
Bumper

equipment: ------

Re: Jaycar voltage controller?

Postby Professor Green » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi Bumper,

I don't think it would be suitable for use on a boiler as it wouldn't handle the current required for the element. 500VA at a rough approximation is 500W max. Elements for boilers are typically > 2000W.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby WTDist » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:15 pm

I built mine for $100 and that was with a control systems engineer to check it over after i built it
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Bumper » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks for this. Bit the bullet and ordered all the parts for a build this afternoon.

Cheers

B
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:15 pm

Few years back the Jay car unit had a bigger brother that would handle higher power. That unit is no longer available.
A simple SCR or phase angle controller can be built a lot cheaper
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Return to Electrical Hardware