Rust coloured output

Pot still design and discussion

Rust coloured output

Postby Fed » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:34 pm

hi all,

Had a boil over in my pot still a few weeks ago so gave it a good clean with citric bath for a couple of hours, sat the head up side down in the bowler whcih is what i normally do. Flushed it with water. Ran it as a still with water only. Everything fine. Rang a nutragrain wash through it and the out put had a slight rust colour to it. Bit of a surprise since its all coopper. Would a vinegar run clean it better or use it as an excuse to build another? Don't really want to spend the coin yet but don't want to waste any more coin on washes that end up as vodka.
Cheers,
fed
Fed

equipment: 25L off the rack with 2 inch pot from Mac

Re: Rust coloured output

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Yeah try a vinegar clean mate, how hard were you running that wash and how full was the boiler? You might have had a bit of a puke :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby SBB » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:07 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:You might have had a bit of a puke

I was thinking same thing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Fed » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:05 am

sam_and_liv wrote:Yeah try a vinegar clean mate, how hard were you running that wash and how full was the boiler? You might have had a bit of a puke :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Will give a vinegar wash a go. No puke, only 10 litres in a 25 boiler, sides of the boiler were clean.

As always thans for all your help,
Fed

Postby Woodsy71 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:37 am

Some of the HBS boilers use copper/rusty coloured elements in them :think:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby bt1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:09 am

Big fan of a short 20 min steam only run after vinegar runs. prevents any offies in next spirit run.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Fed » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:46 am

Woodsy71 wrote:Some of the HBS boilers use copper/rusty coloured elements in them :think:

bt1 wrote:Big fan of a short 20 min steam only run after vinegar runs. prevents any offies in next spirit run.

bt1

Woodsy, element external to the boiler, so no problem there

BT1, thanks seemed to work a treat last night.

Thanks to the collective for all your assistance as usual
Fed

Postby CyBaThUg » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:14 pm

Hey I welded the bsb join on my boiler when I didn't know how to weld lol stupid apprentice and didn't back purge it and the back of it is rusting should I cut it out and weld a new section in or does it not matter as I don't drink wats in the boiler or do particles some how float up into the vapour thanks
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby BIG D » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:25 pm

CyBaThUg wrote:Hey I welded the bsb join on my boiler when I didn't know how to weld lol stupid apprentice and didn't back purge it and the back of it is rusting should I cut it out and weld a new section in or does it not matter as I don't drink wats in the boiler or do particles some how float up into the vapour thanks

Clean it with a burr or staino wire brush then pickling paste will fix it if you can't get pickling paste acetone will work ok.
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Return to Pot Stills