Any reason to not go this route?

Pot still design and discussion

Any reason to not go this route?

Postby theozzman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:38 pm

Hey guys.

Being on a tight budget and with my recent studying of designs and principles, I am wondering if my plans are suitable for a simple pot still.

So, I have a T500 boiler which will soon have an electrical controller so I can control heat to moderate pot output. It is a 2000W element, I think all T500s are. My plan is to use the T500 boiler, run copper pipe straight up several inches to a right angle along a few feet of copper and down another right angle into a thump. Then up and out of the thump into a good sized worm.

It's nothing new but I am after a cheap, traditional pot still for UJSSM and in future all grain bills. I will be able to control output (in theory) by reducing voltage and boiler temp. If I am wrong on the output control please correct me! :-B

My reasons for this are; I want to make my own pot, I already have a T500 boiler, it is fairly straightfoward and......it's a pot! The only pot I have ever run is my reflux column, shortened and unpacked with no heat control.....more of a strip. I have a bunch of stripped UJSSM waitting.

My future plans are to build/buy a plated column for running single run UJSSM, grain bills etc. For now I must make do with what I have.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts...I may be totally wrong on all this but it seems sound in theory. Although I rarely see blokes in Aus running thumpers, so I wonder about this?

Cheers
theozzman

equipment: T500 boiler with extended column

Re: Any reason to not go this route?

Postby Sam. » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:55 am

I don't see a problem.

Most just strip and then when they have enough do a spirit run. With the thumper you should be able to do a single run. I reckon most in oz that have run thumpers is more for rum, I don't have any great experience with rum or thumpers so I will leave that for someone else to comment on.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: Any reason to not go this route?

Postby theozzman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:36 pm

Thanks mate.

Interesting that the thump seems more common in the US, perhaps a more traditional item over there?

Thats what I like about the thump though, it's still a regular pot, but single runs are possible. I am basing my dimensions (pipe etc) from other build guides I have seen on pot stills. I just have to get the copper....from what I have read, winding the worm to be all down hill can be tricky. But if I take my time and allow for error I should gte there.

Thanks sam.
theozzman

equipment: T500 boiler with extended column

Return to Pot Stills