cooling pot still

Pot still design and discussion

Re: cooling pot still

Postby RefluxEd » Thu May 14, 2015 8:02 pm

Sounds like good ol' Broken Hill. An amazing place.
If you have that much crap in your system now, the risk of using a Chinese made still is probably a bit naf. Give it a go. Home made spirits if done with care are so much better than anything you can buy. Once you get a result that makes you realise this you won't go back and will push on to more sophisticated setups. The money you save is all the justification you need move forward. An IBC is cheap and will cope with your move to the next stage of distilling. One thing to consider is to do things that don't limit your next move.
This and other fora will give you all the information required. You'll love the challenge and be amazed at how your social life improves. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RefluxEd

equipment: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby bluc » Mon May 18, 2015 8:14 pm

Nothing to do with cooling but thought I would just ask here. My pot has no clamp to hold the condenser to the pot anyone have ideas what I use? Perhaps some vice grip locking plier or bulldog clamp? Have read about the Flour and water gasket but guessing I need some sort of clamp to hold it together...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Thu May 21, 2015 5:47 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:It looks to be a mini pot setup with a Shotgun style condenser.
Water flow will need to be flowing in through the bottom and out the top. Can you post a pic of the water lines..

Sorry missed this part in your post do you want a pic of the tubing or the inlet outlet on the condenser? Have seen these also slightly different setup with what looks like a second condenser setup in series out the front , the copper coil type condenser...

What would be purpose of second condenser faster run speed more vapour knock down ability?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Previous

Return to Pot Stills