Mad Dog's 3" block head Pot

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Mad Dog's 3" block head Pot

Postby benpandaae86 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:17 pm

You could put a 3/4 ferrule on ur outlet and the same on ur parrot plus a breather
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby WTDist » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:21 pm

benpandaae86 wrote:You could put a 3/4 ferrule on ur outlet and the same on ur parrot plus a breather

the alcometer will still be too wide on the other end in the 3/4" pipe ;-)
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby benpandaae86 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:59 am

So its a skinny parrot problem i thought it was the way the product was comin off the still
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby maddogpearse » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:46 am

BennyHiggo wrote:I personally prefer a Jane to a John when jamming a mouth around my outlet piece :happy-partydance:

I got a chuckle out of this. Well played sir

benpandaae86 wrote:So its a skinny parrot problem i thought it was the way the product was comin off the still

Two separate issues dude.

scythe wrote:Copper tube is named by its OD here in Aus.
You could make up a little slant plate to go in your 3"-1" reducer so it pushes all the condensate to one side, that might help reduce the spraying.

Or attach a bit of tube to the bottom of the outlet reducer at about 45* to direct the flow a bit.

Cheers for the info scythe. I always thought liquid /vapor tubes should be measured ID as that determines capacity.
Regarding the slant plate, that may be one of today's jobs.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby maddogpearse » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Any objections if I put 3 x 1" tubes in a piece of 3" as a RC? Should knock it all down @ 100mm? I'm getting all geared up to convert this into a little bubbler.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC

Postby maddogpearse » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:07 pm

Just thought i'd update this thread for future reference. Made a new parrot to solve that issue. stuffed a copper scourer up the ass of the column, which sits about half way for sulfide removals. Then did a spirit run of McRum on the weekend. :dance: 40% low wines was running at approx 3.5 liters/hour with 1385W of heat. white dog tastes delicious, but i put down 5 liters on oak and will attempt to leave it for at least 6 months.
In all seriousness, if your running a HBS reflux still and you want to make brow spirits? make yourself a pot still! couldn't recommend it highly enough! i'm bloody wrapped with the product i produced. Now that i've got the bug, i've gone and bought a heaps of corn and rye and malted barley to see what i can do. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maddogpearse

Postby WTDist » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:17 am

Hows the RC build going?
WTDist

Postby maddogpearse » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:28 pm

WTDist wrote:Hows the RC build going?

well...in short, it's not. I've been checking out scrappys last little while, trying to find some copper plate because i want to make a glasser. RC is not really on the top of the priority list until i get the bubble plates organised. i've got plenty of 2" which i think i'll make my bubble caps out of. plenty of 1" and 3/4. just need some plates, i'd flatten some pipe, but i want something with a bit more girth.
i've also been working on my keg boiler. i've pretty much got it all done, just need to get a 4" from Mac then weld it all up. It's all just time and money. The missus isn't so keen on me spending money on it lately. need to give it a rest for a while i think....
maddogpearse

Postby maddogpearse » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:17 pm

Well here's the Akkar ;)
maddogpearse

Postby scythe » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:52 am

Tidy welds.
Nice work.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby WTDist » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:12 am

scythe wrote:Tidy welds.
Nice work.

:text-+1:
Looks very tidy
WTDist

Postby maddogpearse » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:59 am

Cheers lads yeah I'm happy with how it looks, as long as it's functional. I'm a bit worried with the inch tubes I've used that I may not be able to reach full reflux. Would have been better with smaller tubes but that's what I had...
maddogpearse

Postby WTDist » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:04 pm

when i lower the power required to run my 2" bubbler around 1000W maybe (between 80-130 on volt meter) im using a trickle of water. like literally bugger all not even 200ml a min. any faster and it refluxes (and floods but thats the 1/2" downcomer :)) )

if i run full power i cant hit full reflux and thats 5 1/2" tubes and its fast like a stripping run but higher abv, not drinkable

yours will work fine unless you throw too much power at it. maybe set your water to the flow you want, lower the power and then set speed by power. so power management rather than CM. sorta how i run mine
WTDist

Postby maddogpearse » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:48 am

So I knew washes are acidic, but I should have taken more time to clean this after every run! Look what can happen to a copper scourer after 6 months!
maddogpearse

Postby Sam. » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:30 am

It's not so much to do with being acidic it's more all the sulfides and crap that the copper removes, put it in a citric acid bath or boil in vinegar and water and see if it cleans it up at all you may be surprised :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby maddogpearse » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:57 am

I don’t have so Sam. It's brittle and hard and crumpled apart. Almost like it had been in the fire.
maddogpearse

Postby Sam. » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:01 am

Ah fair enough, did you test the quality of the copper at all before you fitted it to make sure it wasn't going to rust?

Some cheaper brands are not 100% copper apparently :handgestures-thumbdown:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Previous

Return to Pot Stills