Still build

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Still build

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:41 pm

I'm confused, is this part of the still you have bought or something you have made? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Plumby » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:31 pm

I'm confused also, if you made this you could have made your whole still instead of buying it from the states. That's just my opinion though, :teasing-tease:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:23 pm

I thought it was being imported from the US... :think: it will either be a thumper or a gin basket. If it's a bubble cap type thumper then you'll need an insert to use as a gin basket, ie being so wide your botanicals may be spread too wide to be in contact with vapour.

That's if you're for real...
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby copperhead road » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:11 am

To clear up confusion it's a design change to my still. My imput in the build is by FaceTime video and the professional coppersmith is the hands on cutter and welder lol
The original still head did not function as a botanicals basket as well so after plenty of discussion we scrapped the original and went back to the drawing board and started from scratch. I desided to post pics of the build as it progresses.
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby copperhead road » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:21 am

Dig Brinker wrote:I thought it was being imported from the US... :think: it will either be a thumper or a gin basket. If it's a bubble cap type thumper then you'll need an insert to use as a gin basket, ie being so wide your botanicals may be spread too wide to be in contact with vapour.

That's if you're for real...

Inside on the bottom of the still head wall there is a copper sheet plate with small holes drilled in every 5 millimetres square, to allow vapour to pass through
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:04 am

How many kg of botanicals are you planning on running? And are you going to build a reflux still so you can make gin out of neutral hearts?

Thanks for clearing up the confusion about the builder, I thought it might be the case :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby scythe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:13 am

What is the idea behind having the head so wide?
To fit as much fruit in as possible?
How do you plan to replace the botanicals mid run?
Or is the plan to stuff that with all the botanicals needed for a run?

And if you only have a perforated plate soldered between the boiler and this top section then how do you plan to use it as a thumper, as i can only see it functioning as a plate section (which is basically all a thumper is) with vastly reduced capacity compared to a thumper.
Also does it have a downcomer?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby azzman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:02 am

scythe wrote:What is the idea behind having the head so wide?

And if you only have a perforated plate soldered between the boiler and this top section then how do you plan to use it as a thumper, as i can only see it functioning as a plate section (which is basically all a thumper is) with vastly reduced capacity compared to a thumper.

copperhead road wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:I cant picture how it works, are there other parts we cant see? ie other ferrules? whats it look like inside?

It's going to have cap on top, there will be a copper grate on the inside and arm to consider from the side at top of wall. Pretty much it's going to be a 2 in 1 onion still head and gin basket

Im pretty sure its a gin basket/onion catyliser. ;-)
not a thumper if im correct

as for wider, slower vapour speed if im correct which is how onions work. more time to infuse but more time for heavier elements to drop also. like tails
azzman

equipment: ;) few bits and bobs

Postby copperhead road » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:15 pm

azzman wrote:
scythe wrote:What is the idea behind having the head so wide?

copperhead road wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:I cant picture how it works, are there other parts we cant see? ie other ferrules? whats it look like inside?

It's going to have cap on top, there will be a copper grate on the inside and arm to consider from the side at top of wall. Pretty much it's going to be a 2 in 1 onion still head and gin basket

Im pretty sure its a gin basket/onion catyliser. ;-)
not a thumper if im correct

as for wider, slower vapour speed if im correct which is how onions work. more time to infuse but more time for heavier elements to drop also. like tails

I'm not sure I'm not an expert at all but I have see a still in a craft distillery and it was the same concept (attached picture)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Anyone who builds a smearing parrot like that would be getting precisely zero of my dollars.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby azzman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:10 pm

im assuming if its a pot still with a gin basket on top then it would get filled with neutral hearts as a pot still wont do neutral. Then i would assume parrot smearing is not an issue, even so how does that parrot smear? looks fine to me. maybe a bit of 1/2" adding some volume to it but they can drain it off between cuts with the valve. dump the parrot in between jars ;-)

Its the brass i dont like :laughing-rolling:
azzman

Postby copperhead road » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:24 pm

The picture was an example of still head being used as a botanicals basket, not who built it or the proofing parrot
Those are 2 separate issues.
My point was if a craft distillery was using such a rig for whiskey , rum and gin it can not be that bad.
copperhead road

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:56 pm

To make gin you need neutral spirit though, which you can't* make with a pot still.

As for the parrot, look how much product will sit in the top 'cup' before it hits the outlet?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:02 pm

Parrot aside it looks like a sweet little pot :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby copperhead road » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:To make gin you need neutral spirit though, which you can't* make with a pot still.

As for the parrot, look how much product will sit in the top 'cup' before it hits the outlet?

After a lot of reading I got the impression that a pot still was not the best weapon for a neutral spirit but was very surprised at a birthday party of mine when the owner and master distiller of Mt Tambourine Distillery told me and my parter that her LEMONCELLO won the award for best lemoncello in Italy last year. She uses a 300 litre full copper pot on gas.
Isn't the base a neutral spirit,Before adding the lemon peel ??????
copperhead road

Postby Plumby » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:25 pm

You can make neutral in a pot it just takes a lot of redistilling. That's why we use reflux stills as these multiple distillation's happen in the one run.
You will get very good neutral if you do a few striping runs so you get enough to charge your boiler with low wines below 40% and do a spirit run with a reflux still.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:29 pm

copperhead road wrote:
Zak Griffin wrote:To make gin you need neutral spirit though, which you can't* make with a pot still.

After a lot of reading I got the impression that a pot still was not the best weapon for a neutral spirit but was very surprised at a birthday party of mine when the owner and master distiller of Mt Tambourine Distillery told me and my parter that her LEMONCELLO won the award for best lemoncello in Italy last year. She uses a 300 litre full copper pot on gas.
Isn't the base a neutral spirit,Before adding the lemon peel ??????

It is, I haven't tasted their Lemoncello so I wont comment about it, I have however tried some other award winning Lemoncello, without exception they were all crap. Usually it is made with Everclear, which is 90% Grain spirit or high proof Grape spirit by Italians(my recipe came from my mates Sicilian Grandfather), I used a Pot for years and have never made a good neutral, even after 4 runs it was still very ordinary. Even now I am still triple distilling it through the bubbler to get it as neutral as possible. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby copperhead road » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:18 pm

bluc wrote:Parrot aside it looks like a sweet little pot :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I agree bluc tidy little pot indeed :text-thankyoublue:
copperhead road

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Every commercial limoncello I've tasted has been pretty average...

There's a fair chance they buy 'neutral spirit' in 1000L pods and just flavour it.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby azzman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Every commercial limoncello I've tasted has been pretty average...

There's a fair chance they buy 'neutral spirit' in 1000L pods and just flavour it.

i think i saw a pic floating around here with one of those IBC's full of ethanol. read many people do this.

Has me wondering. if its stored in plastic and (ethanol ) is a solvent that strips chemicals and then you re distill it through a shit tone of plates or massive packed section will this remove what it has taken on from the plastic ? :think:
azzman

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills