Still build

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Still build

Postby copperhead road » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Just spoke to still builder and he has put a 4" cleaning port in front of CAN. I have decided to have it changed to a 6" port.
I figure if I'm going the hog I may as well go the "whole hog" and that gives me a bit more leeway to get my arm down in the belly of the beast for cleaning, 4" would be a tight squeeze for my arm.
Anyways just an update on progress :O)
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Wraith71 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Looks bloody impressive ... I don't know a thing about gin .. but can you get the Foxtell footy on it if you turn it sideways ?
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:28 pm

Wraith71 wrote:Looks bloody impressive ... I don't know a thing about gin .. but can you get the Foxtell footy on it if you turn it sideways ?

No, I'd say the satellite dish will cover that :teasing-neener: but I'm sure the strippers that pop outa the top will be far more entertaining :happy-partydance:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby copperhead road » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:16 am

Wobblyboot wrote:
Wraith71 wrote:Looks bloody impressive ... I don't know a thing about gin .. but can you get the Foxtell footy on it if you turn it sideways ?

No, I'd say the satellite dish will cover that :teasing-neener: but I'm sure the strippers that pop outa the top will be far more entertaining :happy-partydance:

I once knew a stripper that had a 6" port lol :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Wraith71 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:10 pm

copperhead road wrote:
Wobblyboot wrote:

I once knew a stripper that had a 6" port lol :laughing-rolling:

Eeerrrrmmmm no comment .. :drool: but on a serious note I do think your handy work is brill .. I always take time to appreciate some ones handy work.
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Postby copperhead road » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:06 am

Hi moonshiners
I took Bluc's original advice by changing 4" port for a 6" port
Will give me a bit more elbow room to get my arm down in the belly of the beast

Thanx bluc :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:49 am

If you wanna spend the money you could always add two 2" ferrules as well down bottom for electrical elements option(maybe down the track you will want to run indoors) you. Can just put blanking caps on them while using gas.. looks awesome by the way..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby copperhead road » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:53 pm

bluc wrote:If you wanna spend the money you could always add two 2" ferrules as well down bottom for electrical elements option(maybe down the track you will want to run indoors) you. Can just put blanking caps on them while using gas.. looks awesome by the way..

That's not a bad idea bro, I never thought I could do that but now I know I like it.
Your always thinking ahead and it's a bang on plan
Thanx for your experienced wisdom bluc :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:55 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: if you do ask sue and mac which ferrule to use so they are the same spec as the aussie elements
bluc
Site Donor

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Boy that still builder must be going crazy with all the changes ya making,but I do agree that the elements down the road will be a wise choice and prefer electric over gas for safety reasons and practicality ,fire is a good servant but a bad master,each to their own I guess.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Or just wait til you get it over here, you can always add a couple of weldless elements in later by drilling a couple of 32mm holes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby copperhead road » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Or just wait til you get it over here, you can always add a couple of weldless elements in later by drilling a couple of 32mm holes :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby copperhead road » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:51 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Boy that still builder must be going crazy with all the changes ya making,but I do agree that the elements down the road will be a wise choice and prefer electric over gas for safety reasons and practicality ,fire is a good servant but a bad master,each to their own I guess.cheers hillzabilly

It will teach him to console with me more, I did tell him months ago when bluc suggested it, not to use a 4" as I wanted a 6" port :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby copperhead road » Mon May 15, 2017 7:17 am

Update- cleaning port in, cleaning up outside of rig to go!
Carnt wait for it to be cratered and sent my way. The wait was worth it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon May 15, 2017 8:04 am

Looks good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Professor Green » Mon May 15, 2017 9:01 pm

That's going to look dead sexy when it's all polished up mate.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby copperhead road » Mon May 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Professor Green wrote:That's going to look dead sexy when it's all polished up mate.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

I thinking it would look great natural patina, I have to get back to him with finish preference :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby coffe addict » Tue May 16, 2017 7:40 am

I'd suggest get him to polish it so it's shiney then let it get a natural patina. That's me though I hate having to polish and shine stuff.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Bobsyauncle » Tue May 16, 2017 8:43 am

coffe addict wrote:I'd suggest get him to polish it so it's shiney then let it get a natural patina. That's me though I hate having to polish and shine stuff.

:text-+1:
Bobsyauncle

equipment: 4 plate 4" bubbler with packed section
Copper T500

Postby bluc » Wed May 24, 2017 7:21 pm

Any news on your pots arrival? Just curious.
bluc
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills