Nessie Build - aka Scottish build i.e. tight on the coin!

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Nessie Build - aka Scottish build i.e. tight on the coin

Postby bluc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:05 pm

62% from a single run interesting..From strip then spirit run after cuts i normally get 75% before watering back..
bluc
Mentor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler no bells or whistles..

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:18 am

bluc wrote:62% from a single run interesting..From strip then spirit run after cuts i normally get 75% before watering back..

Low or high Bluc? I wonder if the difference would be the thumper?
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 am

I thought it may end up a bit higher than that but all good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Mentor

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:03 pm

bluc wrote:I thought it may end up a bit higher than that but all good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah, I think we might have run it way too hard and smeared the crap out of it. Only time will tell. Next time, I will try running it at a broken stream I think. We were just a tad excited I think. :laughing-rolling:

Thinking back, I think our stream was definitely thicker than a pencil lead. We filled our jars too much too. Next time I think we will only half fill the 400ml jars. make them easier to pour too. Wasted way too much in the pouring :angry-banghead: . Need to make some kind of a wine thief I think. :think:

Thanks for the interest Bluc, the advice is very helpful.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:18 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: keep us posted with your adventures..
bluc
Mentor

Postby woodduck » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:10 pm

If your going to try to single run with your thumper you'll have to slow it down like you are doing a spirit run, so yeah dripping to a broken stream max output I'd say. This will bring up your % as well as clean up your flavour. I found I got slightly higher % when I put faints in the thumper as well.

It'll take a couple of runs to sort her out but you'll get there and she'll produce some nice drink for ya :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Mentor

equipment: 5 plate glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts of power, a pot still with thumper and a 2" boka.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks Woodduck. I was worried we had taken it too fast. Might add what we kept from gen 1 to the boil for gen 2 and run her low and slow with half feints, half wash in the thumper. Want as much flavour to come across as we can. Might even order some extra heavy peated malt and add to the wort as an adjunct. Any thoughts on that?
ThePaterPiper

Postby orcy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:27 pm

Sounds like something you need to test :)

Only problem with whisky is you need to be patient. Make a batch or 2 every week for a year and you'll know everything you need to about it.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:50 pm

orcy wrote:Only problem with whisky is you need to be patient. Make a batch or 2 every week for a year and you'll know everything you need to about it.

So with whiskys do you mix a couple of runs and age together in a corny like we are doing with the NGW or age them in individual jars with say a bit of oak covering the mouth. My mates mum has just come up with these

But I don't like the idea of the lids. Plenty of volume by the look of them though.
ThePaterPiper

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:35 pm

You could just use a saucer over the top ifn ya worried about plastic.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:44 am

hillzabilly wrote:You could just use a saucer over the top ifn ya worried about plastic.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Awesome. Thanks!
ThePaterPiper

Previous

Return to Pot Stills