Starting my pot still build

Pot still design and discussion

Starting my pot still build

Postby Kiwi Shane » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:14 pm

So I've been to the scrappy and hardware store and got most of the bits for my build :happy-partydance: . I ordered a 2" Tri clamp fitting as well and it arrived really quick. Just need a 2" elbow now but they are really expensive :o so next pay.

I recon it's going to be a b!%ch to straighten that 1/2" copper...any suggestions?

I also need a keg. Where can I get one legally?

Cheers,

IMG_20240301_143916.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kiwi Shane

equipment: Nothing yet, just starting out.

Re: Starting my pot still build

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:59 pm

Mate get yourself a heating torch and just heat that 1/2" until it cherry red and let it cool, that is called annealing and that copper you heated will bend real easy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Have a good read up on making easy flanges and for that you will need 1/4" and some silver solder(hard solder).

Also go have a look at the build section and have a good read of some of the builds which will give you a great insight on how to tackle your first still.

Now as far as the keg goes we do need to know your general location so put that in your profile and that will give us something to go on.

So have you drawn up a pic of your intended build mate and if so put it up here so we can advise you on the best way to go.

Cheers Bryan
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Starting my pot still build

Postby Kiwi Shane » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:11 am

Thanks Ruddy for the reply.

I'm going to give the heating of the copper coil a try and see how it goes.

I did look at those easy flanges but thought they might be too difficult so I'm going with soldering the Tri clamp fitting to the 2"copper pipe.

I'm not much good at drawing so I have added a pic of what I want to build.

As for location, I'm on the north island in NZ.

Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kiwi Shane

equipment: Nothing yet, just starting out.

Return to Pot Stills