Penny the Stripper (renamed)

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Opinions/criticism please

Postby 1 2many » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Nice work Kickarum it is not every day we see something different and that pot is a great example very nice great job. :clap: :clap:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby bt1 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:14 am

Now that's about as sexy as copper can get...nicely done!

Downward angled Lyne arm nice touch as it picks up the start of the passive reflux you get in the arms.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:36 am

Definitely needs a worm in a clear container.... Great work. Good to see something different!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby kickarum » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi all
Built the Liebig today and gave her a run of vinegar solution 7L it took 24 mins to produce steam/drips. It was so much like the descriptions On this site, felt the temp slowly creep up into the onion into the column, once it started to warm around the bend of the lyne arm I thought not long and within seconds there it was starting to steam out the condenser just as described so many times on here. I ran her for a full hour on the shitty low pressure reg and 3 burner flat out billowing a far bit of steam, then I turned on the cooling instantly producing liquid, timed at about 3.5L an hour and would have used 35L an hour of cooling water if continued. The back half of the condenser was very cool the top half was rather hot and the water output was nasty to touch but the condensate was cool I would say 20ish. So tomorrow I build a parrot and run her. I have a 50L wash of McRum but not sure how to go about it should I full charge the boiler 35/37L run her and sacrifice the heads as a clean and continue with the run keeping hearts and tails. Or does the cleaning run need to be completely isolated and discarded if so fair enough, and if total discard how much should I charge the boiler with. Sorry for the long winded post but I'm really hyped. Thanks for all the great advise and support from all.
Cheers Mick.
kickarum

equipment: Penny Copper pot still, 50L Keg/Boiler

Postby P3T3rPan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Total discard is best then you are never left wondering...
just enough to cover your element safely
see if you can find some real cheap alcohol rather than wasting the rum wash
I use a tpw for mine cos it is real cheap
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby P3T3rPan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:49 pm

And seriously, slow down you don't want to miss the moments
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby SBB » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:14 pm

kickarum wrote:It was so much like the descriptions On this site, felt the temp slowly creep up into the onion into the column,

Its kinda neat how the heat layers when you first feel it isnt it, :D It gives you a better understanding how the different fractions can stack them selves in reflux stills and bubblers.
Your still will run very differently with alcohol in it, water just isnt the same :sad:
kickarum wrote:The back half of the condenser was very cool the top half was rather hot and the water output was nasty to touch but the condensate was cool I would say 20ish.

Having your liebig warmer at the top than the bottom is a good thing, but not to hot, cold bottom, just warm at the top.
Im with Peter here, seems a waste to run that rum wash, buy a couple of cheap flagons or boxs of plonk to finish it off.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bt1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:56 am

3.5lt per hour not a bad result. WD :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeh same as the guys have posted I'd run some flavourless white wine with water through it first, then good rinse and then get onto the rum wash. You only need 30 minutes or so no point fully loading a boiler.

On the leibig temp, my 1.2m are hot at the top it's not an issue it's all about the spirit output temp if she's 20c to suit the temp calibration of your alco meter your spot on.

enjoy the run
bt1

ps what name for the still did you decide on ?
bt1

Postby kickarum » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:38 pm

Hey all
Took everyone's advice and bought a couple of casks. Ran more cooling this time but was surprised to read the alcometer thermo said the condensate was at about 28, yesturdays guesstermation was way off, the condenser was cool except for the 1st 3 or 4 inches and the water outlet temp was only warm. Everything else went to plan, ran at about 4.5L an hour on the wine (calculation only) started in the low 70 percent ran her down to 30 percent. The parrot worked a treat but although the alcometer is only 15.2mm Dia and the I.D. Of the parrot is 19.2mm she did tend to hydraulic a little at that flow. Will run the Rum tomorrow hopefully and have an adjustable regulator to use so should go a bit harder than today.
Bt1 I have named her but you'll have to wait for the polished up photos Sat or sun. Thanks everyone for your time and patience.
Cheers Mick.
kickarum

Postby MacStill » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:06 am

kickarum wrote:Hey all
Took everyone's advice and bought a couple of casks. Ran more cooling this time but was surprised to read the alcometer thermo said the condensate was at about 28, yesturdays guesstermation was way off, the condenser was cool except for the 1st 3 or 4 inches and the water outlet temp was only warm. Everything else went to plan, ran at about 4.5L an hour on the wine (calculation only) started in the low 70 percent ran her down to 30 percent. The parrot worked a treat but although the alcometer is only 15.2mm Dia and the I.D. Of the parrot is 19.2mm she did tend to hydraulic a little at that flow. Will run the Rum tomorrow hopefully and have an adjustable regulator to use so should go a bit harder than today.
Bt1 I have named her but you'll have to wait for the polished up photos Sat or sun. Thanks everyone for your time and patience.
Cheers Mick.

Look forward to seeing those pics kicka, this is a top build mate, nice to see something different that's for sure :-D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:59 am

Good stuff mate :) don't be shy with the pics :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby kickarum » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Ok ran a 40l charge of rum today, the new girl performed well however the wind played buggery with passive refluxing.
1 hr 30 in and I see the first drop of product, it was 35 mins later before I had a stream and not until I placed a make shift windbreak up. Ended up with 7L of metho-lasses :)) at 3L an hour. Need to think about the burner air/gas mix also hot air flows.the 14" rim I'm using for a boiler stand is choking up the show the bottom ring on the keg needs to be vented and the boiler could then be shrouded allowing the current inefficient combustion to generate its excess up the sides of the keg. Sorry just thinking aloud but feel free to put your 2 bobs worth in. The 2nd Gen seems to have kicked off well. Everything always goes the way you lads say it will
THANKS Mick.
Her Name is Penny and I love the way she Strips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kickarum

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Nice work mate... Why is Penny such a tease? Get some full pics up :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I found my 15" rim suffocated the burner as well, so I just sit my keg on a couple of bricks... I've really got to get around to finishing the stand properly though :D
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:01 pm

kickarum wrote:Ended up with 7L of metho-lasses :)) at 3L an hour.

Im sure Penny will be able to strip a lot quicker than that once you get her hot enough. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby davecuds » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:12 pm

class!
davecuds

equipment: 50L boiler, 4 plate bubbler. 3600w element, SSR controlled

Postby SBB » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:21 pm

kickarum wrote: the bottom ring on the keg needs to be vented

Kicker Im not sure that the ring around the bottom of the keg is the problem, I think its more that the burner needs to be able to draw air from under it and from the sides.
When I built my new boiler I was worried about the same things, if you have a look at it you will see its got quite a wide ring around the bottom of it, The boiler only sits about an inch into that ring, The gas ring its self is almost up inside the ring and its working fine, I did it that way to try and hold some heat in under the boiler rather than have it just rolling out the sides. When I was building the stand I thought about drilling vent holes around the ring, glad i didn't now as it works great as is.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby kickarum » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:21 am

SBB wrote:
kickarum wrote: the bottom ring on the keg needs to be vented

Kicker Im not sure that the ring around the bottom of the keg is the problem, I think its more that the burner needs to be able to draw air from under it and from the sides.
When I built my new boiler I was worried about the same things, if you have a look at it you will see its got quite a wide ring around the bottom of it, The boiler only sits about an inch into that ring, The gas ring its self is almost up inside the ring and its working fine, I did it that way to try and hold some heat in under the boiler rather than have it just rolling out the sides. When I was building the stand I thought about drilling vent holes around the ring, glad i didn't now as it works great as is.

Ok then mate I'll hold back on the holes and play with air intake rather than output, 1 step at a time. What are you using for a burner and regulator? Seems to me that the standard preset reg isn't putting out enough, but IMO no use changing it until I start to get air/fuel mix and air flow somewhere near what it should be, thanks for your imput. :clap:
Cheers Mick.
kickarum

Postby bt1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:56 am

I use a car rim burner stand that fits a coopers keg to perfection. It seals on the rim lip as wanted.

Under the rim I've 2x 1/2" / 12.5mm square steel rods for air and also assists with stability on a uneven paved surface. Resolves the air flow issue well.

Penny the stripper :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bt1
bt1

Postby SBB » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:17 am

kickarum wrote:What are you using for a burner and regulator?

My old set up was a 50 L keg with 3 ring burner, standard BBQ type reg. Some of those regs seem to be rated to put out a bit more gas than others. You can "fiddle" with some of them to make them go harder, Probably not a great idea for me to go into the ins and outs of that here for safety reasons.
The new set up is a 4 ring burner with an adjustable High pressure reg, having said that Im getting more than enough heat with that regulator with its adjustment at a very very low setting.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby dogbreath vodka » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:00 am

bt1 wrote:I use a car rim burner stand that fits a coopers keg to perfection. It seals on the rim lip as wanted.

Under the rim I've 2x 1/2" / 12.5mm square steel rods for air and also assists with stability on a uneven paved surface. Resolves the air flow issue well.

Penny the stripper :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bt1

:text-+1:

Mine is a 14" rim with two bits of angle iron on top of the rim to lift the keg up a bit for airflow.
Works a treat.

But with your rig.... Mate that is just too pretty to go with a burner on a rim... :naughty:

You gotta make something nicer than that. :D

Once you've finished.... I can't wait to see "Penny" polished up.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills