Pot Still column to suit a T500 boiler

Pot still design and discussion

Pot Still column to suit a T500 boiler

Postby neservice » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:45 am

Hi all

I was going to look into making a Pot Still column for my T500 boiler but in all honesty i cannot find an easy design to follow as i have no experience at all.

So i am looking for anyone wanting to sell a column that would suit the T500 or if not that could be used with an adaptor

I am in Melbourne
neservice

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Pot Still column to suit a T500 boiler

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:18 am

Sorry mate, i forgot to get back to you on PM, my bad :violence-stickwhack:
What i would have said though is that a pot still is extremely cheap and easy to make yourself.
youll need

A t500 adaptor from FSD
A 2 " tri clamp and seal from FSD

From a plumbing supplies store (reece etc)
1600mm x 2" copper pipe
2 x 2" 90 degree bends (capillary)
3 x 2" to 3/4" reducers (capillary)
600mm of 3/4 inch copper pipe
some 1/2 inch copper pipe
come 1/4 inch pipe for an easy flange

soldering gear including aquasafe lead free solder and hard (lead free) hard solder for an easy flange

please excuse my crude attempt at CAD, but hey :O)
2 inch pot jpeg.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby neservice » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Sorry mate, i forgot to get back to you on PM, my bad :violence-stickwhack:
What i would have said though is that a pot still is extremely cheap and easy to make yourself.
youll need

A t500 adaptor from FSD

1600mm x 2" copper pipe

soldering gear including aquasafe lead free solder and hard (lead free) hard solder for an easy flange

2 inch pot jpeg.JPG

Great stuff thank you

What size and the easiest way to add the inlet and outlet pipes on the water jacket?
neservice

Postby scythe » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Dont use 2" for a water jacket unless its for a shotgun condenser, waste of money for not much gain if any.
3/4" over 1/2" is common for liebig condensers
You can even buy special fittings to make it easier again, not sure what they are called tho but searching here will find it.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:12 pm

1/2 inch pipe
Drill a 1/2 inch hole and solder it in

And, come on scythe... 2 inch Liebig is just for the wank factor. Looks are important too :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby neservice » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Geat guys thanks

One last thing, where does the thermometer and and what do you use as a port?
neservice

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:25 pm

No thermo needed. Forget about temps run your still by output per hr and abv.
Just jump in and start, keep reading and you'll fly from the nest in no time :teasing-tease:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Kenster » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:58 pm

Double..thx for yr input, was going to give the same info, never got around to it, saved me some time, cheers.
Btw... ne, i have a new roll of leadfree solder (500gm) going cheap as they are usually 40 bucks a roll...i am in melb also. PM me if interested.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby peter01010101 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Sorry mate, i forgot to get back to you on PM, my bad :violence-stickwhack:
youll need

A t500 adaptor from FSD

1600mm x 2" copper pipe

2 inch pot jpeg.JPG

This is a great thread, Doubleuj I think your plan is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.
One thing though, in my research for a pot still design I found a link on the net with plans for what they refer to as a hybrid reflux still, which is almost exactly the same your plans with the exception of running the cooling pipes through the column then into the condenser and the addition of a thermo on the top of the column and some packing. I have attached the PDF file with the complete plans and explanations. I am a complete novice in all this so I'm after some advice as to whether it's worth the extra effort given that there isn't much extra work or materials in the hybrid build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peter01010101

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser - 2" 'Pelican' Pot - 2" Carter Head gin rig - 2" LM reflux.
50L keg boiler with 2200w weldless element - Mangrove Jacks 25L electric boiler.
Air Still mini still (which I still use regularly)
All grain beer brewing setup.

Postby warramungas » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:44 pm

That's an outdated (outmoded?) design. Sure it will work to a degree but you'd be better off building a 'Nixon stone' or 'bokabob' (google them) stills. Much more efficient and use about the same amount of copper pipe with the exception of 1/4 inch which you need for cooling coils.
Both these designs can also double as a pot still if you build the coils with enough capacity in them. Mine were coiled around 1" water pipe and are about 6" to 8" in length (coiled) and can knock down 2400 watts.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby peter01010101 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:59 pm

warramungas wrote:That's an outdated (outmoded?) design. Sure it will work to a degree but you'd be better off building a 'Nixon stone' or 'bokabob' (google them) stills. Much more efficient and use about the same amount of copper pipe with the exception of 1/4 inch which you need for cooling coils.
Both these designs can also double as a pot still if you build the coils with enough capacity in them. Mine were coiled around 1" water pipe and are about 6" to 8" in length (coiled) and can knock down 2400 watts.

Thanks once again Warra. ^:)^ I'll keep researching the boka.
Cheers
peter01010101

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser - 2" 'Pelican' Pot - 2" Carter Head gin rig - 2" LM reflux.
50L keg boiler with 2200w weldless element - Mangrove Jacks 25L electric boiler.

Postby Kenster » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:33 pm

Peter, i dont have the exact link to hand but i think the SLANT PLATE boka may be more difficult to construct if u have little experience..I made up the CUP type, which you will be able to find if looking at boka builds... i have one and it is extremely easy to build and VERY efficient.. just my 2c worth.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)

Postby Kenster » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:35 pm

ne, if u r still having trouble with the build give us a hoy, may be able to help out..(after chrisssy)
Kenster

Postby neservice » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:37 pm

Kenster wrote:ne, if u r still having trouble with the build give us a hoy, may be able to help out..(after chrisssy)

Cheers mate, very much appreciated , I am collecting copper as we speak
neservice

Postby peter01010101 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Kenster wrote:Peter, i dont have the exact link to hand but i think the SLANT PLATE boka may be more difficult to construct if u have little experience..I made up the CUP type, which you will be able to find if looking at boka builds... i have one and it is extremely easy to build and VERY efficient.. just my 2c worth.

Thanks Kenster, my skills are little to non existent at the moment. I'm having a go at making a parrot as a bit of practice. Yep, to be honest the slant plate in the boka design did look a bit beyond me so I was looking at simpler builds AND I am very limited for space as I live in an apartment, so I need something reasonably compact which I can operate on my patio.

I will look for the cup type boka plans.

Cheers
peter01010101

Return to Pot Stills