Questions for the Experts

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Questions for the Experts

Postby Dyno » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:30 am

rumsponge wrote:
Dyno wrote:
Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Simple plug 5 different things in the 5 outlets and start turning off your breaker supply if they all go off together that means 1 element only

Did that this arvo and there's 2 circuits so all good

with 2 circuits you will be able to run 2x2400W elements. Just to get you an idea, thats what I use on my 50L insulated boiler. with a 40L charge, it takes about 40 minutes to get up to temps. this will at least double if you go to 80L charge/100L boiler.
Here is a useful calculator:
xcalcs.html

Imho, stay with a 50L boiler or find some way to add more power to it (talk to your electrician).
cheers, rs

:text-thankyoublue: Rumsponge
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby rumsponge » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:54 am

1. What would I be doing by adding a couple of plates into the modular setup and also do I also need to run an RC as I see other plated columns have ? Or is it as simple as Wiifm suggests above by just adding the T sections ? If this takes away the stripping run then it sounds like an absolute winner. I guess I just cant understand the magic of having the plates ( and I have read a shit load of stuff on here trying to get my head around it )

Yes, you do need an RC with plates. Whether you will be able to get away without a stripping run will depend on many factors, primarly the product you are after (and persoanl quality preference).
For rum/bourbon/scotch you can do single runs over 3-4 plates (common), depending on how much flavour you want.
For neutral/vodka you need a lot of plates (think around 10 plates at least, although most people here use 5 plates + packed section) if you want to run wash in a single pass. Has to be run slow for best and cleanest product. Thats why many here many recommend to first do a quick stripping run in pot still mode, then redistill slowly over a plated colum (as many plates as you can fit/afford).

cheers rs
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby Dyno » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:10 pm

rumsponge wrote:
1. What would I be doing by adding a couple of plates into the modular setup and also do I also need to run an RC as I see other plated columns have ? Or is it as simple as Wiifm suggests above by just adding the T sections ? If this takes away the stripping run then it sounds like an absolute winner. I guess I just cant understand the magic of having the plates ( and I have read a shit load of stuff on here trying to get my head around it )

Yes, you do need an RC with plates. Whether you will be able to get away without a stripping run will depend on many factors, primarly the product you are after (and persoanl quality preference).
For rum/bourbon/scotch you can do single runs over 3-4 plates (common), depending on how much flavour you want.
For neutral/vodka you need a lot of plates (think around 10 plates at least, although most people here use 5 plates + packed section) if you want to run wash in a single pass. Has to be run slow for best and cleanest product. Thats why many here many recommend to first do a quick stripping run in pot still mode, then redistill slowly over a plated colum (as many plates as you can fit/afford).

cheers rs

Cheers man... appreciate your input. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby wiifm » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Sorry for my slightly misleading answer earlier. Yes you would need an RC to go with your plates.

This would cut you down to one run instead of stripping runs into a spirit run.
wiifm

equipment: 4 plate glasser using FSD bubble caps

Postby crow » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:37 pm

No you need an over head condenser (RC) to condense the vapour to load the plates. Without it you might get some slight passive reflux but for all intended purposes they will accomplish little.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Previous

Return to Pot Stills