My first build

Pot still design and discussion

Re: My first build

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:52 pm

I would replace the brass union on the condencer-still connection with a stainless one ,I allways give a drawing or well mark parts to be joined with a couple of center punch marks to avoid F#*kups like that.Have a look thru viewforum.php?f=41.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Sam. » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Copper can definitely be brazed (hard solder) to SS, well my plumber can at least :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ultrasuede » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Plumby wrote:
ultrasuede wrote:Sent it off to get braised.. They gave it back with the elbows on the wrong way :angry-banghead: I also went against all advice and am getting the condenser braised to the keg screw, he said "It's impossible to braise copper to ss" :angry-banghead:

May I ask why you didn't do it yourself, and why you are wanting to join the condensed to the keg coupling? You realise you are going to have to turn the whole thing to attach it to the keg and how are you going to make the coupling leak proof?

I only have a butane torch, and no supply of lead free solder. The cooling pipe is detachable so I only have to turn the 2" parts. No hassle. 5 Star is out of 2" tri clamps, and I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible.
ultrasuede

equipment: Boka 1.5 metre, 50lt keg boiler and a pot still.

Postby Plumby » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:58 pm

My propane torch with lead free solder and flux from bunnings cost me $55, cheaper than paying someone and I got to keep the torch for future builds. You could have soft soldered with a butaine torch.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:22 pm

How do you go about sealing the original screw-in connection?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Plumby » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:14 pm

That's what I'm wondering too :think:
And how long until he gets sick of turning the whole still into the boiler.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby ultrasuede » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:00 pm

All the parts are finally put together. Just waiting for the JB weld on the cooling jacket to cure. The evil coupler weld worked out fine. I put water in it, and run it tits out with a stopper in the condenser. No leaks! Can't wait to put a wash through!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ultrasuede

Postby bluc » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:03 pm

You soldered the rest why not the condenser?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ultrasuede » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:43 pm

bluc wrote:You soldered the rest why not the condenser?

The whole unit needs to screw in, that would be a pain with the condenser attached. Also makes for easy transport and storage
ultrasuede

Postby ultrasuede » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:How do you go about sealing the original screw-in connection?

It has a rubber O ring, which is designed to hold beer under pressure, so isn't a problem
ultrasuede

Postby Plumby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:47 pm

ultrasuede wrote:

It has a rubber O ring, which is designed to hold beer under pressure, so isn't a problem

Is that alcohol safe rubber, high % alc will dissolve rubber and then you get rubber infused alcohol. :puke-huge: :puke-huge: :puke-huge:
Plumby

Postby bluc » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:50 pm

ultrasuede wrote:

The whole unit needs to screw in, that would be a pain with the condenser attached. Also makes for easy transport and storage

No i mean why not solder copper jacket over copper inner rather than pvc pipe and jbweld..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Hah, I like the "Swan" still! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Stemmy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:00 pm

:text-+1:
Plumby wrote:
ultrasuede wrote:

Is that alcohol safe rubber, high % alc will dissolve rubber and then you get rubber infused alcohol. :puke-huge: :puke-huge: :puke-huge:
Stemmy

equipment: Reflux stilll

4" bubbler

Postby ultrasuede » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Plumby wrote:
ultrasuede wrote:

I guess I will find out, but considering that it was made for a mass market keg that contains alcohol, I'm not worried
ultrasuede

Postby ultrasuede » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:06 pm

bluc wrote:
ultrasuede wrote:

No i mean why not solder copper jacket over copper inner rather than pvc pipe and jbweld..

Because I am poor
ultrasuede

Postby Plumby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:31 pm

That's your choice man but remembered alcohol is a solvent. 5% abv beer is around 12-14 times weaker than the 60-70% abv spirit you will be making. Good chance that bit of mass produced rubber won't stand up to 60-70% abv too long, and it is up to your liver to process that rubber infused alcohol. Will you happily give the rubber infused alcohol to your family and friends?
Plumby

Postby bluc » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:33 pm

:text-+1: ditch the rubber look for a silicon alternative..pvc aint a biggy since it aint in contact with product.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ultrasuede » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:17 am

Plumby wrote:That's your choice man but remembered alcohol is a solvent. 5% abv beer is around 12-14 times weaker than the 60-70% abv spirit you will be making. Good chance that bit of mass produced rubber won't stand up to 60-70% abv too long, and it is up to your liver to process that rubber infused alcohol. Will you happily give the rubber infused alcohol to your family and friends?

You all got me worried, turns out it's silicone. I held it to the blow torch, and it didn't lose any structural integrity, it just got hot. I might soak it in the foreshots of my sac run just to be sure. Thanks people!
ultrasuede

Postby EziTasting » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:22 am

ultrasuede wrote:You all got me worried, turns out it's silicone. I held it to the blow torch, and it didn't lose any structural integrity, it just got hot. I might soak it in the foreshots of my sac run just to be sure. Thanks people!

Good move. Remember these comments aren't made to condemn you but to keep you safe... Apparently guys here like you :scared-eek:

:D :teasing-neener:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills