Still build

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Still build

Postby Plumby » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:37 pm

If you wash a hooker really well, using a whole bar of soap, does it remove all the dick that has been there?
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Lol wtf :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby copperhead road » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:28 pm

:teasing-blah:
Plumby wrote:If you wash a hooker really well, using a whole bar of soap, does it remove all the dick that has been there?
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Lowie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi Copperhead,
Nice looking workmanship. I'm keen to see how it works :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby scythe » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:01 pm

Aren't there glass lined IBCs?
I seem to recall "Doc" mentioning it at one point.

Seems that most craft distilleries i have seen have a pot still and thats about it.
Yet they all sell a wide range of spirits.

Buying bulk high %ABV would seem like a smart business model for small players that didnt want to waste time mashing and just wanted to build some stock.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:15 pm

scythe wrote:Aren't there glass lined IBCs?
I seem to recall "Doc" mentioning it at one point.

Seems that most craft distilleries i have seen have a pot still and thats about it.
Yet they all sell a wide range of spirits.

Buying bulk high %ABV would seem like a smart business model for small players that didnt want to waste time mashing and just wanted to build some stock.

I doubt a lot of others have the same standards when it comes to storage etc, I have seen low wines stored in plastic on several distillery tours. Cheaper is better for some people, others take the same view as us. I also think if you don't make it from scratch, us as the consumer should know when we purchase their products, I heard a rumour that several Tasmanian Distillery's are distilling someone else's mash. Looking at a $300 dollar bottle of Single Malt on the shelf, all it says is made by #$%@#$% Distillery :handgestures-thumbdown: .
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:47 pm

copperhead road wrote:
Zak Griffin wrote:To make gin you need neutral spirit though, which you can't* make with a pot still.

As for the parrot, look how much product will sit in the top 'cup' before it hits the outlet?

After a lot of reading I got the impression that a pot still was not the best weapon for a neutral spirit but was very surprised at a birthday party of mine when the owner and master distiller of Mt Tambourine Distillery told me and my parter that her LEMONCELLO won the award for best lemoncello in Italy last year. She uses a 300 litre full copper pot on gas.
Isn't the base a neutral spirit,Before adding the lemon peel ??????

I don't think a 300l is in the hobby range :handgestures-thumbdown: she won an award? :-B that's well done :handgestures-thumbupleft: but how did she not know straight away if she actually made it????? I'm quite sure the (master distiller at MT TAMBORINE) didn't submit a home made product as his own in an international competition????? You don't seem genuine :shock:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby bluc » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:51 pm

How do you get "homemade" from his post?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:15 pm

bluc wrote:How do you get "homemade" from his post?

So he passed off another distilleries product as his own?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Professor Green » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:13 pm

A large number of "distilleries" buy in base spirit and re-distill it into their own products such as gin and absinthe. I can't see why a limoncello maker wouldn't be any different if they don't have the equipment to make their own neutral base.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:27 pm

Wobbly, he's saying that the master distiller from Mt Tambourine was at a party, and said her limoncello won an award. Believe it or not, women are capable of running a still too.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby copperhead road » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:33 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:
bluc wrote:How do you get "homemade" from his post?

So he passed off another distilleries product as his own?

She is an old Russian lady that has tiny legal distillery and she is the distiller and been there since the 70's
She's more than genuine I think!
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby copperhead road » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:55 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Wobbly, he's saying that the master distiller from Mt Tambourine was at a party, and said her limoncello won an award. Believe it or not, women are capable of running a still too.

It's a bit off topic but believe it or not , some old lady's can sing happy birthday and Russian dance while playing an piano accordion as well as they run a still LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:00 pm

Ive been to Mt Tambourine Distillery and was told that they buy neutral spirit in and flavor it as needed with the fruits around the area.
See I have similar pictures.
I also bought a bottle of their musk stick (500ml for $40 or something) came home and made a couple of litres of the stuff for a couple of dollars that tasted tonnes better.
Distillery my fat arse
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby copperhead road » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:47 pm

The Stig wrote:Ive been to Mt Tambourine Distillery and was told that they buy neutral spirit in and flavor it as needed with the fruits around the area.
See I have similar pictures.
I also bought a bottle of their musk stick (500ml for $40 or something) came home and made a couple of litres of the stuff for a couple of dollars that tasted tonnes better.
Distillery my fat arse

Not sure, I have not bought anything nor have I made anything nor have I done a tour there!
Did you go to one of there distilling and gin making course
copperhead road

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:48 pm

I didnt do anything because they didnt do anything on a week day
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby copperhead road » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:12 pm

The Stig wrote:I didnt do anything because they didnt do anything on a week day

Not sure if ya pic is what you bought or what you made, but it's a beautiful colour.
I was unaware there was a musk stick spirit, how do you replicate the flavour of them as I assume you of all people would not use essence. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Mine is in the jar, theirs is in the skinny bottle next to it.
I used musk sticks from Woolies, bet they used essence
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby copperhead road » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Wow, so all you do is soak musk stills in spirits
Well done
copperhead road

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Then filter and filter to get it clear
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills