Still build

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Still build

Postby copperhead road » Wed May 24, 2017 7:32 pm

bluc wrote:Any news on your pots arrival? Just curious.

Hi mate, it was finished being polished Saturday. Still builder had to go out of town to deliver and install a 750 gallon outfit for a distillery, he will be back in Kentucky to build a crate for my rig on Friday. He also wants to do a run through it and video that for me before it gets sent.
All going well it should leave Kentucky in about 12 days "finally" but it was well worth the wait it's top shelf and looks amazing
Cheers buddy
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby TasSpirits » Thu May 25, 2017 6:40 pm

The last pics still had the brass ferrule, is that staying?
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby copperhead road » Thu May 25, 2017 7:29 pm

TasSpirits wrote:The last pics still had the brass ferrule, is that staying?

Yer mate it has been tinned on the inside, they call that one an ezy flange
I will Sus it out once I get my hot little hands on it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri May 26, 2017 12:51 pm

An easy flange is what we make here with a flattened 1/4" ring etc.

Those brass ferrules sit outside the pipe, they would only have to tin the very inside edge to create a brass-free vapour path.

Looking forward to seeing your almost, but not completely, all copper pot cleaned up and in a box :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby shortybronx88 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:36 pm

Out of curiosity, who is building the still in the US? Are they a company?
shortybronx88

equipment: A custom 4inch 6 plate copper column is my weapon!

I have also been known to make a few random brews with differing level of success

Postby copperhead road » Fri May 26, 2017 6:16 pm

shortybronx88 wrote:Out of curiosity, who is building the still in the US? Are they a company?

Yes they are a company family business that build rigs for distilleries (copper only) and install them. They do not do anything online, there real old fashioned over the phone people
copperhead road

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Well as a "gesture of good will" still builder made a parrot for me and threw it in for nothing as I was a patient and good customer.
I don't know anything about them at all and not sure if I like it, I know they are to hold the alcoholmeter.
Are they a good thing to have???
Can you pull them off condenser and run without???
Not sure how I am going to be able to run it with my gas burner, as the parrot is longer than the height of my kegking burner :think:

What are the thoughts of you experienced fellas out there and do you guys use these weird looking things.

I don't know if I should cry or say thank you! Lol

Oh he said it sits perfectly straight it's just the photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:29 pm

When you say "weird looking" things, are you referring to a parrot or to your parrot?!?

I use a parrot all the time because gives me the alcohol %age of the liquid as it comes off the still. I record it when I change my collection jar as part of taking cuts.... gives me a much better understanding of how my run is performing (or how my ferment performed) and I can trouble shoot if necessary.

In short, YES, I use a parrot. Wouldn't do a run without it!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Plumby » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:40 pm

Never used 1 ever. I collect everything in 200ml lots during a spirit run, make cuts by taste and smell, when I'm happy I check the abv. Strip runs I just check a few times during the run at 20% I stop.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby pingu » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Using a parrot will also increase your chances of getting laid...
pingu

equipment: 2" Pot with Shotgun on Keg

Postby Plumby » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:24 pm

pingu wrote:Using a parrot will also increase your chances of getting laid...

Well off to bunnings to buy copper pipe and fittings for me tomorrow then. :laughing-rolling:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:03 pm

EziTasting wrote:When you say "weird looking" things, are you referring to a parrot or to your parrot?!?

I use a parrot all the time because gives me the alcohol %age of the liquid as it comes off the still. I record it when I change my collection jar as part of taking cuts.... gives me a much better understanding of how my run is performing (or how my ferment performed) and I can trouble shoot if necessary.

Can I detach the parrot for stripping runs, and run straight out the end of the condenser like you normally would?
copperhead road

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:15 pm

copperhead road wrote:
EziTasting wrote:When you say "weird looking" things, are you referring to a parrot or to your parrot?!?

Can I detach the parrot for stripping runs, and run straight out the end of the condenser like you normally would?

I'd recommend doing that, it looks like that parrot will smear ur whole run :scared-eek:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Plumby » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:31 pm

It would be OK for a stripping run I guess, would be best to remove for a spirit run through.
Plumby

Postby Minpac » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Normally they have such a small volume that they don't cause too much smearing - that one looks like a bird bath for an emu.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Minpac wrote:Normally they have such a small volume that they don't cause too much smearing - that one looks like a bird bath for an emu.

:laughing-rolling:

But seriously, I use mine all the time! Strip or spirit run.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Plumby » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:13 pm

:clap: :laughing-rolling:
Minpac wrote:Normally they have such a small volume that they don't cause too much smearing - that one looks like a bird bath for an emu.
Plumby

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:31 pm

You must be hanging to get your hands on that "almost all copper rig" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:58 pm

EziTasting wrote:

:laughing-rolling:

But seriously, I use mine all the time! Strip or spirit run.

Cool thanks Ezi :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:01 pm

Its actually a duck pond !
But I honestly don't know what they normally look like but that's the norm in Kentucky I suspect :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills