Still build

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Still build

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Brass should be avoided, it can contain lead, get them to swap it for a stainless ferrule (if it is indeed brass)
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby copperhead road » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:21 am

Coming together
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby copperhead road » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:24 am

Hopefully the 3" condenser will have the vapour knock down capacity I'm looking for, particularly stripping runs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby copperhead road » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:31 am

3" X 28"
copperhead road

Postby copperhead road » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:13 pm

I am thinking of putting a half inch copper tube that screws on at either end (can to condenser) to act as brace.
Do you think that would be a good idea to support the weight of 3" condenser and hoses that's hanging off at that angle?????

Is that what the experienced home builders would do???? :think:
copperhead road

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:55 pm

I would prolly go for something like this that had a little adjustment,and add a length of stainless to make it a bit longer to suit the application,as that shotty will carry a fair bit of weight when full of water.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby copperhead road » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 pm

hillzabilly wrote:I would prolly go for something like this that had a little adjustment,and add a length of stainless to make it a bit longer to suit the application,as that shotty will carry a fair bit of weight when full of water.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Is that an FSD part? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:02 pm

No get them from Bunnings or hardware stores or a stainless supplier or maybe a marine mob,they use them with stainless wire and balastrades and shade sails ,and come in a variety of styles and sizes,best ta have a snoop in the big green shed or online,they call them turnbuckels I think.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Plumby » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:25 pm

Yes turnbuckles for straining FSWR ( flexible steel wire rope )
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby maddogpearse » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:15 pm

What about you add a Lyne arm, then run the condenser vertical on its own stand. Same as a commercial job.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:18 pm

:text-+1: maddog and maybe a doubler/thumper :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 pm

copperhead road wrote:I am thinking of putting a half inch copper tube that screws on at either end (can to condenser) to act as brace.
Do you think that would be a good idea to support the weight of 3" condenser and hoses that's hanging off at that angle?????

Why not ask the American bloke that's building this still for you if it's needed? Surely they'd know if it's needs supporting?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Plumby » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:36 pm

:text-+1: Good point W.J.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby copperhead road » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:43 am

Doubleuj wrote:
copperhead road wrote:I am thinking of putting a half inch copper tube that screws on at either end (can to condenser) to act as brace.

Why not ask the American bloke that's building this still for you if it's needed? Surely they'd know if it's needs supporting?

Thanks Doubleu, yes it's confirmed with still builder and I have been informed it is getting an all copper brace running from condenser to CAN wall.
Also a copper ferrule will replace the brass one on the side of onion head (thanks for all the experts advise on that issue)
Overall she is coming together really nice I think.
Now I need to start thinking about what type of finish I intended to do for outside of still, I'm tossing up between natural patina or brush finished :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby scythe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:41 pm

Good call on the replacing both brass ferrules.
Both finishes have their drawbacks, natural patina need to start off smooth with no major scratches or blemishes you may want to buff out later.
Brushed finishes need to be done in the same direction which can be a pain.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:10 pm

If ya useing gas ,I would go the natural look wich matches the old skool look of Granny,whatever finish ya go keeping it clean and sparkleing with gas will be a lot harder than electric especialy when ya have a spill or two wich will allways leave marks on copper unless you clean it up straight away.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby pingu » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:26 pm

copperhead, when will this copper monster be finished and delivered?
Do you have a stand made up for the gas burner, and to wheel it about?
You are going to make a shit tonne of booze with this thing. :banana-linedance:
pingu

equipment: 2" Pot with Shotgun on Keg

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:43 am

CR, you want that brace adjustable for future proofing. Ie if you want to add plates or a thumper or RC in the future.

What about the brass ferrule on the PC? Is that getting replaced with copper too?

What are you gonna use as seals???
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby copperhead road » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:15 am

Dig Brinker wrote:CR, you want that brace adjustable for future proofing. Ie if you want to add plates or a thumper or RC in the future.

What about the brass ferrule on the PC? Is that getting replaced with copper too?

What are you gonna use as seals???

I don't know anything about seals, will I need them?
Does it go in between the ferrule and clamp
copperhead road

Postby copperhead road » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:19 am

pingu wrote:copperhead, when will this copper monster be finished and delivered?
Do you have a stand made up for the gas burner, and to wheel it about?
You are going to make a shit tonne of booze with this thing. :banana-linedance:

Hi mate, only stand I have at this stage is the one that comes with kingkeg burner, it consists of 3 legs and is 500mm tall. I have not put much thought into that yet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills