Still build

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Still build

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I can't get past how fundamentally flawed that Macaw is.

:think:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby woodduck » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:16 pm

I have to agree, it just confuses me. It’s even hard to work out how it works. It looks like it would hold way too much spirit which will cause smearing. What size is the centre tube? Will a alcometer fit in there?

I'm not trying to bag your gear mate, I'm really not it’s just that the old school isn't always the best, things go out of fashion/get upgraded for a reason. It’s not bad gear it’s just not what we're used to seeing, we are trying to get our rigs to perform to the best they can to make the best alc possible by refining and tweaking and this rig is just less refined that's all.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Well the bird bath was a finishing touch gift, at the end of the day ya can always take it off
All in all it's a pretty sweet pot :-B
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:44 pm

So it arrived then? Go on, where's the pics?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Woodsy71 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:49 pm

All's well that ends well.

As long as your happy with your rig, it matters not what others think :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It sounds like a sweat pot :smile:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Woodsy71 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Damn auto correct. I mean sweet pot :smile:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby PeterC » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:56 pm

Looking at that parrot it seems to me it is made that way because you do not need any special fittings or reducers, it can all be made from the same size tube with a few tee's and elbows. The dish being pressed out of flat sheet. So an economical way to make it from stock materials. Should work as well as any other. Would like to see a photo of the finished build.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:51 am

But why is the vent tube coming up from the bottom, rather than teed off the side of the inlet? Why is the outlet at the top of the funnel? Why is the funnel so big? Why is it 300mm tall?!

Like i said, fundamentally flawed for absolutely no reason.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:52 am

Doubleuj wrote:So it arrived then? Go on, where's the pics?

No it's just came out of fumigation facility in LA and is being loaded at port there. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I had found a pic of bird bath in my emails I missed, A photo was never taken after 2 day polishing session before it was crated.

The waits nearly over though, not long now :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:34 pm

I reckon you should build a stand for it, decorative art piece, that's all it would be good for. :laughing-rolling:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Plumby » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:43 pm

TasSpirits wrote:I reckon you should build a stand for it, decorative art piece, that's all it would be good for. :laughing-rolling:

Look out, shots fired.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:18 pm

It may be good for mixing a martini while doing the run :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Kenster » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Given the size and weight of the bird, the extra freight cost could be converted upon arrival, sold off as scrap, for a profit , if it is not suitable... (Just kiddin...CH) nice Pot man..hope you got plenty of collection jars.Thats some big mother boiler.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby copperhead road » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:32 am

TasSpirits wrote:I reckon you should build a stand for it, decorative art piece, that's all it would be good for. :laughing-rolling:

How do you know about the Jon toras stainless stand, I kept that quiet...., :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:52 pm

copperhead road wrote:

How do you know about the Jon toras stainless stand, I kept that quiet...., :laughing-rolling:

Was only meaning the giant parrot, not the still. :laughing-rolling:
TasSpirits

Postby copperhead road » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
copperhead road wrote:

Well now I have let the cat out of the bag due to misunderstanding :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 pm

copperhead road wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:
copperhead road wrote:

Well now I have let the cat out of the bag due to misunderstanding :laughing-rolling:

Checked out the stands, they look sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby copperhead road » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:59 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
copperhead road wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:
copperhead road wrote:

Checked out the stands, they look sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:

There awesome but the price of his work is awesome also (sarcastic),just like the still you really pay when it comes to 1 of custom builds. They do look something else though together "outstanding"

I needed it to get that f#cking parrot up out of the concrete floor :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

Postby copperhead road » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:10 pm

In the picture of my still on the drum, the 270 gallon with the cross etched into it on the left hand side is the fellas who made my stand. Not a bad size rig just for the sole purpose of a hobby whiskey still in the back shed :laughing-rolling: TRUE....
copperhead road

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:21 am

What was wrong with this thread? :think:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills