Still build

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Still build

Postby Plumby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:24 am

Yes you will need seal's, to stop the ethanol vapour leaking out at the join and loosing product, also stops your stilling area filling up with a flammable gas. Definitely not what anybody wants, especially when you are running on gas.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby copperhead road » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:38 am

Plumby wrote:Yes you will need seal's, to stop the ethanol vapour leaking out at the join and loosing product, also stops your stilling area filling up with a flammable gas. Definitely not what anybody wants, especially when you are running on gas.

These seals, do they come in good quality and crap quality like everything else?
What is top notch brand to use?
What material are they made from? :think:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Plumby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:36 am

Easiest thing to do is ring 5 star mate. They have them, good quality and not to expensive, couple of dollars I think.
Made from silicon if I remember correctly.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Lowie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:45 am

Plumby wrote:Yes you will need seal's, to stop the ethanol vapour leaking out at the join and loosing product, also stops your stilling area filling up with a flammable gas. Definitely not what anybody wants, especially when you are running on gas.

:text-+1: ethanol fumes plus gas = boom :o Once you get your seals, fill the rig up with water (seal it both ends) and look for leaks. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Wobblyboot » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:00 am

I'd be surprised if it doesn't come with seals and clamps :O)
I'm sure ur builder will leak test it before he sends it to u :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'd more look at how u will set it up for gas, will u need stand or will it be stable with that weight on the kk burner :-B
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:37 am

Maybe something like this ,height could be changed ta suit burner,and the wheels will allow ya to move her around safetly,a full copper set up is more easily damaged than a full stainless set up.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby copperhead road » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:16 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:I'd be surprised if it doesn't come with seals and clamps :O)
I'm sure ur builder will leak test it before he sends it to u :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'd more look at how u will set it up for gas, will u need stand or will it be stable with that weight on the kk burner :-B

Hi wobblyboot, your bang on! Just spoke to still builder and they leak and pressure test the rig, they video the whole thing with pressure gauges attached and send me video to watch before the even send it. I forgot to ask what brand of seals but at least I know now that FSD can replace them for me down the track.
Thanks for the input guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Mrs Mac » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Hi Copperhead,

Just to touch on the seals this will depend on what type of ferrules are used as the Americans often use a different size to Australia.
All of our ferrules, clamps and seals are standard 3A, which are a different diameter to that of the regular American size.
In any case we can get them for you, but just something you should ask them.

Cheers
Mrs Mac
@};-
Mrs Mac
Lifetime Member

equipment: bubble wrap
sticky tape gun
stanley knife

Postby copperhead road » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:31 pm

The all copper screw on brace, tucked nicely below the onion head
Starting to look bad ass and bang on! :happy-partydance: :music-deathmetal: :happy-partydance: :music-deathmetal:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:42 pm

Looking good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
What are the 3 threaded pipes for? I can see the bottom as a drain but the 1 outa the onion?
Wobblyboot

Postby copperhead road » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:55 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:Looking good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
What are the 3 threaded pipes for? I can see the bottom as a drain but the 1 outa the onion?

Temperature gauges mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:10 pm

copperhead road wrote:

Ok..temp good to know for when it's getting close to boil but then run it by how fast it's coming outa the pc (Gatling condenser) :-B
Have u thought of sight glass on top ferrule of onion? Not a nescessity but just cause u could :teasing-tease:
Wobblyboot

Postby copperhead road » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:
copperhead road wrote:

Ok..temp good to know for when it's getting close to boil but then run it by how fast it's coming outa the pc (Gatling condenser) :-B
Have u thought of sight glass on top ferrule of onion? Not a nescessity but just cause u could :teasing-tease:

I actually tossing up with the idea wobblyboot, I think sight glass would look top shelf :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And I love tacking more on the bill lol
copperhead road

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:27 pm

copperhead road wrote:
Wobblyboot wrote:
copperhead road wrote:

I actually tossing up with the idea wobblyboot, I think sight glass would look top shelf :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And I love tacking more on the bill lol

I'd wait till u get it and then get 1 of fsd's cause since ur close, u will need other gear as well ;American oak staves ect :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I love watching mine do its job, that's why I got a glass bubbler :happy-partydance:
Wobblyboot

Postby bluc » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Looks awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft: something about pot stills.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Plumby » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Starting to really come along :handgestures-thumbupleft: . When are they replacing the brass?
Plumby

Postby Professor Green » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Looking good mate. I bet you're counting the days 'til it arrives!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby scythe » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:36 am

Thats what i was wondering also plumby.
Would have thought they would do it before the brace in case anything changes dimensionally.
Maybe they forgot...?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:02 am

Those ferrules are a different size to the ones we use here, they sit outside the pipe. The vapour contact would be negligible, and easily nullified by tinning the inside edge with solder.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Plumby » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:05 am

Would the seal between them create enough of a barrier Zac?
Plumby

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills