Still build

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Still build

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:06 pm

Here's the 5 Star Distillers Parrot for comparison mate.

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:39 pm

copperhead road wrote:But I honestly don't know what they normally look like but that's the norm in Kentucky I suspect :handgestures-thumbupleft:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Something like this...

Hah. Beat me!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Lowie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:09 pm

pingu wrote:Using a parrot will also increase your chances of getting laid...

haha, gold. I use other toys, but I'm a croweater...
re the parrot - great tool to measure your abv and monitor your still. take it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby coffe addict » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:23 am

I've found that the first half a dozen runs I was glued to mine. I then realised that I was still making all the decisions based on sight smell and feel of the spirit. I still have the parrot attached but when I inevitably break my alchometer the parrot is probably going to be turned into something else.
That being said I would highly recommend you thank the guy and pass it on to me! Then I'll have to build a pot still with inline thumper :teasing-neener:
They are way more useful on a pot still or thumper set up like yours as you know where your at from over at the workbench or whilst you're putting down your next whiskey mash.
I think the real issue here is how many ferments have you got ready to go as that looks very close to going in the mail
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice about the parrot-phenalia hanging off the end of her, I spoke to still builder this morning and feel a bit better about my gift now. He explained that a couple of distilleries he built run that parrot.
Distillerys- MARTIN GREER, FIRE STEEL, LYTTON BROTHERS, CRYSTAL CREEK, FOX RUN, FAT BOY CINCINNATI, HILLBILLY MOONSHINE TENNESSEE, MIDNIGHT RUN, PEADON BROTHERS, THREE NOTCH
So I guess with that many guys running the emu birdbath they can not be all bad, I'm actually elated and very overwhelmed they did that for me now.
It does look bigger on my rig because he usually puts them on small Gatlon gun condensers like the one attached (laugh out loud)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Dig Brinker » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:45 am

Measure how much liquid it holds when you get it. It looks large is what everyone is saying. Commercial distilleries will obviously be distilling commercial amounts...

If it is too big it can easily be modified.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby db1979 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:45 am

Dig Brinker wrote:Measure how much liquid it holds when you get it. It looks large is what everyone is saying. Commercial distilleries will obviously be distilling commercial amounts...

If it is too big it can easily be modified.

It looks like the outlet to the cone shaped reservoir is about half way up the side, if it was moved down lower towards the bottom of the cone section it would hold less volume and probably cause less smearing. I'm no expert on parrots though so maybe someone else who is could add their 2 c.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:52 am

It looks like it's a broken alcometer waiting to happen. Make sure it's full of product before you add your alcometer.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:58 am

WineGlass told me alcoholmeter can spin that fast in these parrots you need a timing light to read it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Just spoke to my still builder and they have had someone polishing polishing and more polishing for the last day and a bit.
Thankfully they work night shift over there it has been perfect for the communication aspect for me here in Australia

:music-deathmetal: ITS GOING TO BE ONE HELL OF A SPUNKY KENTUCKY COPPER TANK :music-deathmetal:
copperhead road

Postby Professor Green » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Can't be too long now before it's on it's way. Looking forward to seeing more photos of it when it arrives.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Mate, how big is your boiler? I've seen a few different sizes mentioned now in different threads. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:44 pm

TasSpirits wrote:Mate, how big is your boiler? I've seen a few different sizes mentioned now in different threads. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It was meant to be 20 gallon but still builder said it holds 95 litres not including the volume in the cape going up to the 4" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Once I get it I will see for myself, apparently some builders say 20 gallon but you would be lucky to run 15 gallon wash. Just going by what I'm told :think:
copperhead road

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Just checked emails it's classified as they say "true 25 gallon" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Same thing as what I have explained in Aussie, why carnt the US get with the program there backwards :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

Postby Lowie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:44 pm

copperhead road wrote:Just checked emails it's classified as they say "true 25 gallon" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Same thing as what I have explained in Aussie, why carnt the US get with the program there backwards :laughing-rolling:

LOL, you do know US and imperial gallons differ....
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Lowie wrote:
copperhead road wrote:Just checked emails it's classified as they say "true 25 gallon" :handgestures-thumbupleft:

LOL, you do know US and imperial gallons differ....

No I did not know that, just googled it and 95 litres is 25.096 us liquid gallons so was pretty close.
25 gallon mark is 1.5 inches below the cape on the vertical side wall of can. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Gotta know your measurements when you're dealing with those backwards peanuts. They have no idea of the metric system, think it's an English ploy to install the king of England as POTUS lol.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Lowie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Dig Brinker wrote:Gotta know your measurements when you're dealing with those backwards peanuts. They have no idea of the metric system, think it's an English ploy to install the king of England as POTUS lol.

I met a group of people (in their 30's) one day whilst staring through the bars of the White House grounds. When I spoke to them they thought I was from Switzerland. I set them straight and said, "no, I'm from East Oodnadatta". They gave me one of those "knowing nods" - what the fuck was that guy saying - and moved on. They really have no idea about the rest of the world...
Lowie

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Straight out of the citric acid bird bath :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:27 pm

I can't get past how fundamentally flawed that Macaw is.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills