SHAPE OF BOILER OR POT

Pot still design and discussion

SHAPE OF BOILER OR POT

Postby copperhead road » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi guys, I am wondering if the shape of boiler(pot) matters or makes a difference in any way,
For example the comparison between a standard beer keg shape as opposed to a pot that's half the height but much wider but both pots hold the same volume 18 gallons or 68 litres.
Tall and skinny / short and fat
I would really appreciate some advice and thoughts from those who know????
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Re: SHAPE OF BOILER OR POT

Postby res » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:52 am

Most posts I've read on the subject suggest it makes little difference, with power input being the majority deciding factor.
It also seems you can find commercial stills in all shapes and sizes pointing to a lack of clear superiority in any one style. :think:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby scythe » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Short and fat gets my vote only because it will have a more stable base.
And gives you more head room.

Pushing the same amount of energy into the same volume of wash will evolve the same amount of vapour, diameter or exposed surface will play a part in vapour speed but it will still give off the same volume of gas per input energy.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:04 pm

copperhead road wrote:Hi guys, I am wondering if the shape of boiler(pot) matters or makes a difference in any way,
For example the comparison between a standard beer keg shape as opposed to a pot that's half the height but much wider but both pots hold the same volume 18 gallons or 68 litres.

Im wondering why your asking this question now since youve already stated that your still is (almost) built and on its way?
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby copperhead road » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:38 pm

The Stig wrote:
copperhead road wrote:Hi guys, I am wondering if the shape of boiler(pot) matters or makes a difference in any way,

Im wondering why your asking this question now since youve already stated that your still is (almost) built and on its way?

Because I never had a pic of the whole pot and assumed it was a lot shorter in height than what it actually is
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby res » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:35 pm

The best shape for a boiler is always the one you have ;-)
I wouldn't worry about it mate.
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Return to Pot Stills