RC on a Pot Still?

Pot still design and discussion

RC on a Pot Still?

Postby PeterC » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:10 am

Hi all,
Forgive me if you think this is a dumb question but I am a bit of a ways before I am likely to get a bubbler and am just looking at what else I could do in the mean time. If I had a pot still of the design of FSD 2 inch pot still or even the 4 inch modular with an extension. Would there be any benefit in putting a reflux condenser on the top to compress heads etc.? Basically run it like a bubbler without the benefit of the plates? You could even put in a modular packed section for neutrals. I cannot find any discussion on this so wondering if this is too much a hybrid for people to even bother with or have I got it basically wrong? Feel free to chuck a rock at me.

Moderator - You could put this post in the Beginners section but I particularly wanted to reach those who do distilling with pot stills, thanks.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Re: RC on a Pot Still?

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:44 am

If you put a reflux condenser on it it's not a pot still any more, it becomes a CM reflux :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You won't be compressing heads because they will be condensing straight back to the boiler.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Re: RC on a Pot Still?

Postby Sam. » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:07 am

If you put a copper packed section underneath you will achieve some reflux, but like you said it's a "hybrid" so unless you have a long packed section as you would say a boka then you won't achieve a great deal. Also it will be fiddly as hell without the stability of the plates.

But if your slowly buying parts for a bubbler then why not give it a try for yourself as you gather all the parts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Pot Stills