First build, 2" pot

Pot still design and discussion

Re: First build, 2" pot

Postby Plumby » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:41 am

I don't think it matters either azza, I do intend to build a bubbler one day won't be for a few years though. That's why I went for the Liebig and by building the Liebig I could use what was on hand not having to buy anything extra.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Liebigs are better with gas rigs moves the output away from flame. Shotgun are a lot shorter more compact adding more internal pipes = more knockdown power.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby azzman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:04 am

Azza76 wrote:Here is how I run my 2" pot with shotty vertical is the go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
All I need is some 4" tees and I got a bubbler spewin I missed the ones for sale recently :handgestures-thumbdown:
Was going to make a Liebig but I had the gear to make a shotty.

image1.JPG

Stripping some ujsm.

a triclamp and an easy flange or ferrules in the lyn arm will allow the collection height to be raised or lowered to whatever you want.
azzman

equipment: ;) few bits and bobs

Postby Swedish Pride » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:06 pm

azzman wrote:
Azza76 wrote:Here is how I run my 2" pot with shotty vertical is the go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
All I need is some 4" tees and I got a bubbler spewin I missed the ones for sale recently :handgestures-thumbdown:

image1.JPG

Stripping some ujsm.

a triclamp and an easy flange or ferrules in the lyn arm will allow the collection height to be raised or lowered to whatever you want.

yep, this is what I got, can't recomend it enough
Swedish Pride

equipment: Pot on keg
6" rat rod column

Postby Woodsy71 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:16 pm

:text-imwithstupid: :-D
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Azza76 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 am

Swedish Pride wrote:
azzman wrote:

image1.JPG

Stripping some ujsm.

Was going to go with that setup but the way I run the parrot clamped on to the condenser will only work vertically plus I'm pretty sure shotgun condensers work the best vertical :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Azza76

equipment: 2" pot still shotgun condenser
2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby copperhead road » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Azza76 wrote:
Swedish Pride wrote:
azzman wrote:

image1.JPG

Stripping some ujsm.

I did not know that azza, hope mine is going to be ok mounted on a 45 degree angle :think:

Was going to go with that setup but the way I run the parrot clamped on to the condenser will only work vertically plus I'm pretty sure shotgun condensers work the best vertical :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:14 pm

In my experience there is no problem running a shotgun condencer at an angle,if in doubt see picture from 5Star,if ya use two 90' 3/4 bends between condencer and parrot you can set any angle ya want,or just use a 45' one as in the pic.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:44 pm

a shotty works at and angle but you get pooling that leads to smering and you're not using the whole condenser, the former being a bigger issue than the latter.
Swedish Pride

6" rat rod column

Postby Plumby » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Do you get pooling and smearing with a Liebig on an angle like a shotgun on an angle? I would assume that you would but not as bad as there is only one tube in the water jacket not 3 or more.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby bluc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:40 pm

You get more pooling/smearing from a parrot then the corner of a shotgun.
Plumby pooling is caused by the reducer on the end of the shotty not the pipes inside...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby azzman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:43 pm

bluc wrote:You get more pooling/smearing from a parrot then the corner of a shotgun.
Plumby pooling is caused by the reducer on the end of the shotty not the pipes inside...

:text-+1:

if i have mine on an angle i recon i would get a pool of maybe 1/5 of a teaspoon. how much is that? 2ml?

have the inner pipes close to the outer pipe. this is how you minimise a pool

as for angle, dont go more than the reducer angle
azzman

equipment: ;) few bits and bobs

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:51 pm

yep a parrot would pool more than a shotty, didn't mention it as we were discussing condensers.

I've no vetted interest in this what soever, just saying a liebig is as suitable for a condenser as a shotty, a shotty might look better but does not make your booze better.
A liebig is easier to make and have a big advantage in that it gets the booze further from the boiler, only important if you run on naked flame really.

for me it's handy as i can adjust the height i collect my booze at greatly, you can do that with a shotty as well, but not to the same degree
Swedish Pride

6" rat rod column

Postby copperhead road » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:29 pm

You do see them big square shotgun condensers in the USA, The ones that have well over a hundred vapour tubes and they always sit vertically on a stand. :O)
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby pingu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:43 am

For what its worth I run my shotty on an angle. Seems to work quite well on a 50lt keg with 3 ring gas burner with low pressure reg I can knock down up to 6lt per hour. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
pingu

equipment: 2" Pot with Shotgun on Keg

Postby mark84 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:31 am

So I got my mate to pick up all the fittings for the Stil as I was away for work and he got a brass union instead of ss I know brass can contain lead but was wondering opinions on how much exposure and would it effect it if I gave it a bath in vinegar and hydrogen peroxide??
And can brass be welded to copper the same way as copper to copper?
mark84

equipment: 2" pot
pure distilling reflux

Postby Doubleuj » Sat May 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Brass can be pickled with peroxide solution but it needs to be done regularly to avoid the possibility of lead leaching into your product. :handgestures-thumbdown:
Best to avoid it and go stainless
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby mark84 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Brass can be pickled with peroxide solution but it needs to be done regularly to avoid the possibility of lead leaching into your product. :handgestures-thumbdown:
Best to avoid it and go stainless

Yep I thought so I didn't put it on but I didn't have a ss one so just soldered it up couldn't wait any more.
It's a little rough I should have practiced a bit on something first but just could be bothered
mark84

pure distilling reflux

Postby mark84 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Can't upload a photo says it's too big
mark84

pure distilling reflux

Postby Doubleuj » Tue May 09, 2017 6:26 pm

mark84 wrote:Can't upload a photo says it's too big

Either email it to yourself if you're on an iPhone or take a screen shot of the photo :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The pic has to be less than 1Mb
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills