Pot Mod...Will It Work Properly

Pot still design and discussion

Pot Mod...Will It Work Properly

Postby Kenster » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Currently running a 3" copper pot (1300 high) off a T500 lid(& boiler). In addition to the col height i have a 300mm ss section migged onto the lid with a tri, so i can swap over to my reflux when needed. Heres the question...The 300 section on the lid is packed with the typical ceramics supplied with the T500. When i run in pot mode i do not remove this packing. Will this have any real impact on flavour loss due to some kind of reflux or is it OK to leave it in. Honestly, i am just too lazy to remove it... is that doing my flavours an injustice. Also, i have not tried 'both' ways (with & without) to compare. Just hoped some theory might set me straight.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Re: Pot Mod...Will It Work Properly

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:54 pm

You would get some minor passive reflux at the start but once the saddles get heated up to the vapour temp the passive would stop.
My only concern would be that the ceramics tend to get pretty manky quickly and can add off flavour, I'd assume this would be amplified on a pot still.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Re: Pot Mod...Will It Work Properly

Postby Kenster » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Thx W... kinda hoped the passive was not a real concern. I do clean the saddles so not too stinky...cheers
(can someone remove the other post...)
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Return to Pot Stills