Nessie Build - aka Scottish build i.e. tight on the coin!

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Scottish build i.e. tight on the coin!

Postby bluc » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:28 am

Lots people are happy eith single run but really up to you. Something else people do is mix some stripped wash with fresh wash which also increases abv. Stripped wash through a thumper would be pretty good i reakon. 90% of the fun of this hobby is experimentation. As long as your being safe :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Cheers. I guess the other 90% is drinking the stuff :laughing-rolling:
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Professor Green » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Great build mate. Looks pretty good to me.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby ThePaterPiper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:13 am

:text-thankyoublue:
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Well I got my hands on some mapp gas, and OMG! doesn't that stuff rock??!! :o

Should have fixed the leak at the flange/column joint now so I gave it an acid bath.. outside looks bloody awesome. Shiny clean copper but the inside is pink. Really pink! not coppery, get the point? PINK!!!

Does this clean up with the sac run? I have never seen copper go like this, not that I have worked with copper, but usually it goes green doesn't it?
ThePaterPiper

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:27 pm

I allways rub down with a stainless scrubbie after an acid bath and soldering or brazeing,can cable tie one to a piece of dowel to get the inside clean too, then rinse with water and dry straight away to avoid water marks .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks Hillzabilly, not sure if I will get up into the 1/2 inch bend but I will give it a go and see how far I get.

Is it bad stuff or just something that will come out with the sac run?
ThePaterPiper

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:44 pm

I have always just done acid bath out of acid bath, then rinse with water right before vinegar and sac run.dont take it out of acid and let it sit around..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:52 pm

bluc wrote:I have always just done acid bath out of acid bath, then rinse with water right before vinegar and sac run.dont take it out of acid and let it sit around..

OOh, that could be a problem.... :scared-eek:

I have rinsed it very well, but can't get to the boiler til sunday arvo
ThePaterPiper

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:03 pm

As long as rinse well. Otherwise copper can go green and also turn spirit blue
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Mmm blue spirit... not in a good way. So another vinegar run then our sac run? I was hoping we could go straight to sac run given the rest of the setup is waiting after the vinegar run.
ThePaterPiper

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Citric bath vinegar run then sacrifical run always in that order..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Well here she is. "Nessie" cause she isn't pretty and nobody really knows if she exists :laughing-rolling:

upload image on internet

Bit jumbled up on the order, but we had a disaster with heat sinking through the fibro we had under the burner for our first go at a cleaning run and we scorched my mates deck. So off to Bunnings and I found these aerated concrete blocks set aside with broken corners. Long story short, $2 each and insulation overkill :handgestures-thumbupleft:
After vinegar, sac and first NGW runs, the bottom block was only warm to the touch. Very happy

And speaking of very happy... first wash through and happy is an understatement! We are stoked! The NGW doesn't have much taste to it straight off the still, but we both agree it shits all over any vodka we have ever had straight, not that either of us are vodka drinkers.

No crappy burn, just nice warmth in the chest. Very happy with how clean tasting it came through with thumper

Just to show proof of life, here is a link to a short vid of Bessie singing her thumper song :dance: :happy-partydance: :laughing-rolling:

https://youtu.be/6NxDY5CA-HA

Thanks for all of the help and advice along the way. Gen 2 of NGW is fizzing away. Time to order some peated malt methinks!
ThePaterPiper

Postby bluc » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:21 pm

You done the blending yet? Interested in your abv before watering back for ageing..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:55 pm

ThePaterPiper wrote:Thanks Hillzabilly, not sure if I will get up into the 1/2 inch bend but I will give it a go and see how far I get.

Is it bad stuff or just something that will come out with the sac run?

After a build I would allways scrub out the boiler still and thumper really well after the first few runs just ta be sure ta be sure,useing a scrubbie to not just ta polish but to expose fresh clean copper to the vapour path and maximise sulphide removal wich happens on the inside of ya gear,and citric acid will not allways clean up around soldered or brazed joins as well as some fine emery with water and scrubbie's especially on the stainless joins,you may find the colour will vary according ta the wash ya running,so no I do not think its bad stuff but just copper doing its thing .Also do not stress about the 1/2inch elbows ya donot want bits getting stuck ,I have a rifle cleaning rod wich has screw on copper brushs that I give mine a yearly clean with but I only do straight stuff with it like ya leiburg condencer .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Haveing another stainless compression fitting just befor ya thump keg would make storage and cleaning easier as well.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Hey Bluc, no blending yet, just letting them air under some paper towel now for 48hours then we are getting together to measure abc of each jar and do some cuts and blending.
Around the middle of the run we checked it and it was at 78% but the distillate was at 30deg.

Thanks Hillsabilly,
That's a good idea re the extra fitting, might look into it for cleaning sake. The T comes off for cleaning but never thought about the inlet pipe. :angry-banghead: Live and learn!

I am a bit concerned at the temperature of the distillat, 30deg C. We collected about 3.2l in just over an hour so maybe we were pushing it through it a bit fast? The flow was about 2mm in diameter and pretty steady, not breaking up so to speak.

What are your thoughts?
ThePaterPiper

Postby orcy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:27 pm

Might be a touch fast to collect, but if it tastes good, who cares. And 30c isnt that warm. I certainly wouldnt worry. Your alchometer will just read a few pointa higher than actual.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm

orcy wrote:Might be a touch fast to collect, but if it tastes good, who cares. And 30c isnt that warm. I certainly wouldnt worry. Your alchometer will just read a few pointa higher than actual.

Thanks Orcy. Will run her a little slower next run, hopefully a fortnight. Cant wait.. :dance:
ThePaterPiper

Re: Nessie Build - aka Scottish build i.e. tight on the coin

Postby ThePaterPiper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi guys.

We did out cuts tonight and measured the abc of each jar. this is what we found.

Cuts from Gen 1 NGW 13/9/17. Ten jars collected.

1. 77% 200ml
2. 76% 200ml
3. 74% 200ml
4. 73% 200ml Hearts 1
5. 72% 400ml h 2
6. 66% 400ml h 3
7. 65% 400ml h4
8. 60% 400ml T1
9. 53% 400ml T2
10. 46% 400ml T3

We kept jars 4 - 8, jar 8 had the slightest hint of tails, but we figure the oak will look after that. The others into a jar for gen 2 run.
When mixed it was at 62% so into a corny keg for aging with two chunks of American oak (100mm x 20mm x 20mm). One toasted, one heavy charred. (Crocodile skin)

So now it's wait o'clock :whistle:

Thanks for the help along the way.

Sláinte
ThePaterPiper

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills