Think about making a pot still

Pot still design and discussion

Think about making a pot still

Postby Nd83 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:27 am

So semi new to it all chucked up another post about my current reflux still which I'm gonna hand back to its previous owner if he wants it. I've decided on making modular a 4" pot still maybe out of copper but most likely stainless with a shotgun condenser. My questions are from what I've read I'll need to pack it with copper mesh on the way up to collect sulphurs so from what I can gather with that setup I can make runs and whiskey and possibly gins??? Next question is if I make a smaller version of the shotgun condenser put it at the top of the column as in a RC that turns it into a reflux still? Final question is temp monitoring necessary for either style of still or is it just down to flow rate.
Cheers in advance
Nd
Nd83

equipment: Homemade reflux

Re: Think about making a pot still

Postby tipsy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:31 am

Nd83 wrote:Next question is if I make a smaller version of the shotgun condenser put it at the top of the column as in a RC that turns it into a reflux still?

Sounds like you're half way to building a bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Nd83 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:34 am

Haha that's what I will eventually go for but perfect the basics first they say.
Nd83

Postby Nd83 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:47 am

And also is there any rules as to length and diameter of say the column or the U shape at the top or the condenser
Cheers
Nd83

Postby copperhead road » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Are you building your own bubbler? If you are I would go copper and if you are going to buy one then contact FSD.
think we covered the rest in your first post....
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby tipsy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:05 pm

Sorry at work atm so hard to reply

Nd83 wrote:My questions are from what I've read I'll need to pack it with copper mesh on the way up to collect sulphurs

You don't need much copper at all, most stainless stills just have copper plates

Nd83 wrote: Final question is temp monitoring necessary for either style of still or is it just down to flow rate.
Cheers in advance
Nd

Flow rate for pots, steady temp for reflux
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Nd83 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Cheers fellas. Eventually I reckon I'll go down the bubbler road I did have a quick look at FSD site seems like 90% of his gear is stainless so if plates and packing are copper is there any major benefit of making the whole thing copper as I may have mentioned stainless is ALOT easier for me to work with. Also not sure if anyone replied but can you make gin in a pot still. Say I got my buddy to run me off some neutrals then can I hang some flavours in the neutrals/low wines and run it through the pot still with a little bit of mesh packed in somewhere?
Nd83

Postby copperhead road » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:03 pm

As bluc kindly explained in your first post, yes you can run a neutral through a pot still and make a nice gin. I have a mate who makes a pretty nice gin only using a pot still but it would be better using a decent neutral as a base.
Gin has been around a lot longer than bubblers have.
I have asked all the same questions about gin Because I have an all copper pot still and the above is what I was told. As you know the beauty about this hobby is there is no right or wrong really, if you like the taste then nothing else matters :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'm only learning but guys like bluc really know there stuff......
My advice is you can not read enough and read it twice
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Nd83 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:09 pm

Cheers copperhead I think I got a bit confused went back and re-read all posts and saw bluc response cheers for all the info next stop alcoholism
Nd83

Postby tipsy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Nd83 wrote:so if plates and packing are copper is there any major benefit of making the whole thing copper as I may have mentioned stainless is ALOT easier for me to work with.

If stainless is easier, go for it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tipsy

Postby Nd83 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:18 pm

Do I need to have a vent hole somewhere as well
Nd83

Postby Sam. » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:55 pm

If you are building a pot still then the output of your still is the vent hole, or any still that doesn't have a valve blocking the output.

If you have a valve then you will need a vent hole above the reflux condesner.

If you can build with stainless easy then do that, a still DOES NOT NEED TO BE ALL COPPER, all you need is some copper in the vapour path, also if anyone wants to argue that there is more surface area in all copper still then work out the surface area of copper mesh packing and do a comparison ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:29 pm

But hey, if you like the look of a glasser or stainless type still, no one here going to stop you, its a free world. theres no need to sacrifice contact with copper to make your products taste better. Due to the minerals natural ability to clean up alcohol it only makes sense to use it.
Depends on if you still for looks or taste I guess. Just my 2 cents And guess I just like copper better. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
In saying that your going to make some nice grog regardless....
copperhead road

Postby woodduck » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Not sure where your your getting your info from but I would doubt very much if you could tell what still booze came from. Have you done side by side comparisons with your still and someone's stainless one?

And on looks, looks are subjective. I recon there are some bloody nice bubblers out there that I personally think look better than all copper stills. Who wouldn't want to see those bubbles?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Nd83 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:07 pm

So much info cheers fellas I'm loving it learning more and getting more ideas. But basics first
Cheers again
Nd83

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:37 pm

Totally agree plenty of glassers and bubblers are sexy as, especially the glassers.... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby Nd83 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:14 pm

Glassers?????
Nd83

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:15 pm

Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Nd83 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Love that subtle hint Sam but from what I looked at a bubbler and a glasser is the same. So I still don't get it. No stress tho I will one day
Nd83

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 pm

Nd83 wrote:Love that subtle hint Sam but from what I looked at a bubbler and a glasser is the same. So I still don't get it. No stress tho I will one day

Yes a glasser is a bubbler execpt instead of having stainless or copper modules with glass sightglasses the modules are completely glass. They work the same ;-)

If you are wondering about the different types of stills entirely then viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3117

This whole section will explain more in a day of reading than anything else viewforum.php?f=57
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Next

Return to Pot Stills