AlcoEngine Pot Still

Pot still design and discussion

AlcoEngine Pot Still

Postby Mattq71 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi All,
Due to the very low price I have just bought an $150 AlcoEngine pot still as per the link below.

I have done a quick rinse and am now doing a citric acid bath before a cleaning run this weekend.

Now, on to my question/issue ..... I noticed during the internal rinse of the still that water within the still comes out at the points where the cooling water enters and leaves the condenser. Is this normal for a pot still (to not be perfectly sealed) ?

My only experience so far is on my T500.

Thanks in advance.
Matt
Last edited by Doubleuj on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertising link
Mattq71

equipment: 2"pot still with liebig condenser (home-made), Copper T500, AlcoEngine Pot Still.
2x200L water drums for recirc.

Re: AlcoEngine Pot Still

Postby Plumby » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:39 pm

If you pour water in the end of the still that attaches to your boiler it should only come out of the end of the condenser where the alcohol comes out. Not where the cooling water comes in and out of the condenser.
This iconic vee shape still has been created to capture the vital esters, aldehydes and phenolic compounds that are necessary to give the final spirit a complexity that simply cannot be created any other way.
This is bullshit any pot still will do this, it doesn't have to be the special v shape.
Last edited by Plumby on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby bluc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:43 pm

you flush water through inside and it runs out cooling water pipes? no def not normal cooling jacket should be sealed from vapour path. otherwise cooling water will mix with spirit. got a pic?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Plumby wrote:If you pour water in the end of the still that attaches to your boiler it should only come out of the end of the condenser where the alcohol comes out. Not where the cooling water comes in and out of the condenser.
This iconic vee shape still has been created to capture the vital esters, aldehydes and phenolic compounds that are necessary to give the final spirit a complexity that simply cannot be created any other way.
This is bullshit any pot still will do this, it doesn't have to be the special v shape.

:text-+1:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Mattq71 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:57 pm

bluc wrote:you flush water through inside and it runs out cooling water pipes? no def not normal cooling jacket should be sealed from vapour path. otherwise cooling water will mix with spirit. got a pic?

Not from the cooling pipes themselves but at the location where the cooling pipes enter the condenser. Will try to upload a photo of the spot.
Mattq71

equipment: 2"pot still with liebig condenser (home-made), Copper T500, AlcoEngine Pot Still.

Postby Mattq71 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Cannot seem to host a photo from my phone with my limited computer knowledge.
Mattq71

Postby Mattq71 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 pm

bluc wrote:you flush water through inside and it runs out cooling water pipes? no def not normal cooling jacket should be sealed from vapour path. otherwise cooling water will mix with spirit. got a pic?

The cooling path is sealed and water doesn’t enter into the still. I am more worried about still vapour and alcohol escaping the gap between the condenser and the cooling pipes.

I guess that this is at the very end of the condenser and there should be no vapour (only a trickle of alcohol) at this location anyway.
Mattq71

Postby RC Al » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:43 am

It won't leak steam if the cooling water is kept up to it ( rate and temp) the add recomends a 500l water tank if not on tap water, this would be to keep it cool enough, they say it will handle any commercial boiler, so 2000-2400w , not bad for a 6 inch coil of tubing ???
Last edited by RC Al on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:34 am

RC Al wrote:It won't leak steam if the cooling water is kept up to it ( rate and temp) the add recomends a 500l water tank if not on tap water, this would be to keep it cool enough, they say it will handle any commercial boiler, so 2000-2400w , not bad for a 6 inch coil of tubing ???

Whoah there nelly, if it leaking water from the join of the cooling pipes then it is going to leak alcohol vapour when running and that is SERIOUSLY FUCKING DANGEROUS.

I would take it back where you got it from and get a new one, if they try and give you the above bullshit advice that keeping it cool will stop the vapour I would ask for a refund and buy or build something that isn't going to be dangerous.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby RC Al » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:52 am

Sam, did you look at the link?
It's a Graham coil used as a RC, the end has to be open, the manufacturer has put a unsealed cap at the end, possibly to slow down the steam and let the small coil work
In the second last sentence of his last post, he says it's not leaking coolant
Last edited by RC Al on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:55 am

I can see how it works and yes it does need to open to atmosphere as all pot stills do.

The OP is saying if you fill it with water it is leaking at the connections where the cooling water pipes for the condenser enter the main body of the still, which is bad.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Mattq71 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:59 am

Sam. wrote:I can see how it works and yes it does need to open to atmosphere as all pot stills do.

The OP is saying if you fill it with water it is leaking at the connections where the cooling water pipes for the condenser enter the main body of the still, which is bad.

Only leaks when I rinse the still internals by injecting water at the base (to the boiler). The cooling water system itself does not leak.
Mattq71

Postby The Stig » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:01 am

I’m with Sam , take it back it shouldn’t be leaking like that
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:08 am

Ah just had a look at a picture of it and it isn't even soldered where the cooling lines enter the still, no wonder it leaks :laughing-rolling:

That's just incredibly lazy manufacturing and a shit design. You get what you pay for :handgestures-thumbdown:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby coffe addict » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:30 am

I'd also draw your attention to the upward pointing cooling lines you'll need to be very careful that the lines don't kink (especially the hot one) and block the cooling resulting in shiploads of hot alcohol vapour pouring out.
The joins that you're worried about will leak vapours though probably not massive amounts. It's still a concern and shouldn't be run till its sealed imo.
This could be done by you or any welding or engineering workshop.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 am

After further thought as well if you cooling water fails then you will definitely have a shit load of vapour escaping

If those joins were welded up then if it failed the passive reflux occurring should condense most of the vapour and pool in the bottom as it looks like it has a very small product outlet letting minimum vapour escape before you shut it down.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:11 pm

With such a small coil and being a pot still I would be recommending no more than 900-1000wt power plus no more than a 25-30lt boiler to stay safe,the desighn ta me is about keeping manufacturing costs down not flavour :angry-banghead: I think the small output pipe is there ta slow down vapour speed and makeing it bigger and sealing the gaps may not fix anything or may even make it less efficent letting uncondenced vapour out ,wich would get worse the more power and boiler volume ya use,with such small coolant tubes ya need very good pressure ta get enough water thru to work well as you push it harder.With such a small outlet I would not like ta see what happens when she pukes on a rum wash ,she,d faily spray it out or worse pop the boiler lid mid run.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
Last edited by hillzabilly on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby warramungas » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:19 pm

I've seen similar and they all rely on the water flow through the condenser to condense the alcohol. Same with our big ones. If the water fails and we dont turn it off the vapor is going to escape. Its going to be heavily reliant on keeping the power within the limits of the condenser. Hole on top or bottom the vapor will get out either way if there's too much of it.
I would have probably sealed the condenser into the unit if I built it but it should work fine I you keep the power down and water flow up.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Mattq71 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:39 pm

coffe addict wrote:I'd also draw your attention to the upward pointing cooling lines you'll need to be very careful that the lines don't kink (especially the hot one) and block the cooling .....

Did a cleaning run tonight and the above was definitely a problem. Will need to change or reinforce my hoses in some way. Gaffa tape solved the problem in the short term however.
Mattq71

Postby Mattq71 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 pm

warramungas wrote:I've seen similar and they all rely on the water flow through the condenser to condense the alcohol. Same with our big ones. If the water fails and we dont turn it off the vapor is going to escape. Its going to be heavily reliant on keeping the power within the limits of the condenser. Hole on top or bottom the vapor will get out either way if there's too much of it.
I would have probably sealed the condenser into the unit if I built it but it should work fine I you keep the power down and water flow up.

Used my voltage regulator to keep the unit stable and at no time did vapour appear to try to escape the holes (even when my hot water return hose became kinked).

I’ll write a short review in this thread later tonight once the family leave me alone.
Last edited by Mattq71 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattq71

Next

Return to Pot Stills