Building stainless steel still

Pot still design and discussion

Building stainless steel still

Postby Adam G » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Hey all,

After doing a few runs with the original still i purchased (30ltr boiler, dome and condenser), my distilling partner and I have decided to build a bigger one. The problem being it is just taking way to long at the moment. So we want to speed things up.
Lucky for me, my buddy is an awesome boilermaker and can get his hands on some stainless pipe. I wanted to use copper, but wow, it is extremely expensive. I called one place up and could only get 6m of 4"..... so was over $600.00 :o

From what i have been reading, we want copper in the vapour path. Would it be as simple as just wedging some copper mesh in the stainless tube? or would that cause issues?
I've seen some 4" bubblers on this forum, and they look awesome, but we want something we can make quickly and cheaply, so we are leaning towards a CCVM style.

So if anyone has ideas on getting some copper in the vapour path of a stainless pipe, that would be great.

Cheers

Adam
Adam G

equipment: Copper Alembic Dome for now

Re: Building stainless steel still

Postby db1979 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Using copper mesh will do the trick. You'd need packing material anyway for the type of still you're thinking of making.

You could also buy the copper bubble cap plates ready to go from 5 star and then the only tricky bits would be the condensers and you'd have a bubbler... So worth it.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Pot Stills