suitable for top of pot still?

Pot still design and discussion

suitable for top of pot still?

Postby Hefty » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi all,
I've got access to some copper sheet through my work and I was able to experiment with making a pipe with a flat lock seam:
copper pipe locked seam lower res.jpg

I haven't hand grooved the seam yet or soldered it but I've punched the seam to stop it slipping out. I was aiming for 50mm diameter but my seam ended up bigger than I intended so it is more like 40mm. Would this be suitable as the beginning of an assembly for the top of a pot still based on a 40l urn with a 2400w element, or is it too narrow? (I know I still need to get the lid to seal and get a voltage controller)
I've got a small flange on one end that I'm hoping I could turn into an easy flange depending on how bulky the finished seam is:
copper pipe flanged end lower res.jpg

If I put this at the top to join a condenser to, I'm hoping this could become a modular point for a future reflux column. Although, now that I think of it, I don't suppose 40mm would be a common size for tri-clamp flanges?
The total length is 400mm. How much of this straight end would I need to cut into to fold out sections to bolt and solder to the lid?
copper pipe straight end lower res.jpg

All advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance !
Jono.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hefty

equipment: Building a pot still, I'm here for your advice!

Re: suitable for top of pot still?

Postby db1979 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:45 am

Looks good mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Well done for getting in and having a go. It'll be fine for a pot. I'm not sure you'd want to use it as the column or still mount for a reflux column unless it's really strong. If your planning a reflux build later on it'd be great as the outer pipe for a shotgun PC.

I don't know if there are 40 mm triclover clamps. Maybe someone else can advise.

But go ahead and use it for a pot still.

As far as how much it needs to be flared for the boiler connection, I reckon 10 mm should do it, even with soft solder a 10 mm join all the way around is really strong. My block head on my bubbler has a 10 mm flare just before the PC. Stronger than it needs to be.

15371342062230.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:07 am

:text-+1: clamps will be the hardest thing to work out especially for the keg mount. since it is 50mnm.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:49 pm

You could always solder on a piece of flat copper with the right diameter so it can be clamped with a triclover. It'll need to be the right thickness too.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby RC Al » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 pm

I may be able to help, have some 40 mm tube to a 77mm(??) flange in copper, will post a pic tonight with measurements, should be able to make that work on a keg, found a few of them at a scrappy a couple of weeks ago, they looked cool so I grabbed them
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby RC Al » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Its 38.3 on the inside of the flare, 42.3 outside
The flange is 80 @1.6 thick, slightly concave on the bottom
54.6 tall
Have 5 all up, $2ea, I'm in brissy pretty often
Get your post count up and pm me if you're interested
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Hefty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks RC, they look great!
I'll double check my diameter but if they're anywhere near close, they'll be ideal! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers!
Jono.
Hefty

equipment: Building a pot still, I'm here for your advice!

Postby db1979 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Soft solder will fill gaps pretty well. Use gravity to keep the solder where you want it.
db1979

Return to Pot Stills