G’s new hybrid pot still build - looking for advice

Pot still design and discussion

G’s new hybrid pot still build - looking for advice

Postby GBarb » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi guys,

Well, I’ve been running a slightly modified super reflux still with an extended column for a bit now, and I’m just not getting the results I want.

The smearing is a bitch even with a voltage controller and it’s just, well it’s frustrating.

So I want to make a hybrid pot still.

I’ve got a old keg to use a boiler, but I’m looking for some guidelines on column height, diameter (I’m thinking 2 inch) and elements. Well actually essentially the whole build.

I’m looking at going stainless, cause I’m on a budget and it’s much more accessible for me and easier to weld up, I’ve got a few mates who are guns on the tig.

The pot still part of it should be fairly easy, but I’m wondering what approach I should take for the reflux attachment when I want to run vodkas and neutrals.

I’ve seen simple set ups with deflegs above the column that can be easily added or removed with tri clamps, with stainless or copper mesh packed inside the column when running reflux.

When I get a few ideas together from the brains trust I’ll put together a rolling summary of the specs and then get on to the development.

Looking for an easy to operate still here to get the job done without bubble plates etc.

Show me you ideas and builds guys.

Cheers
G
GBarb

equipment: Reflux Still

Re: G’s new hybrid pot still build - looking for advice

Postby coffe addict » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:40 pm

A double helix coil and a vm take-off, made with tri clamps. Simple enough build a very easy to run. My 2 pennies worth.
Last edited by coffe addict on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby RC Al » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Pot stills are all about power and condenser knock down capacity at the basic level, work out how much power you can access , using the site calc will show you how long it will take to get up to temp with a given wattage, 6000w will take a minute per liter.
Size the condenser from there

Reflux column, go as tall as you can, consider any size bigger than 2", the output volume increases exponentially and results in a much shorter run time
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby GBarb » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:49 pm

I think I can work most of it out.

Just thinking about the reflux condenser.

Would a defleg be suitable for a reflux condenser above the main
Column?
GBarb

Postby RC Al » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:24 pm

It sure will, at the pointier end of construction difficulty though, they need less height than a Graham condenser, liquid management setup, aka boka, but the boka is highly recommended design for making neutral, due to ease of construction and use

Go and have a look at the types of reflux heads, Liquid management, vapor management, coolant controlled vapor management - LM, VM, CCVM, if you want to go all out you can even do a ccvm/lm combo
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby GBarb » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am

Where is this calculator for the heat up and element?
GBarb

Postby RC Al » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:38 am

It's in the 3rd post in the newbie section, there's a good post near the bottom describing the still types too
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby GBarb » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm

Ok, here is what i have decided on so far:

50L keg for boiler Featuring
- legs welded on to get 400mm off floor
- 4 inch ferrule for filling and cleaning
- 3/4"-1" drain port
- 2 x 2000-2400w elements (controlled by variable controller), whatever is available

3" 304SS stainless steel column Featuring
- 1m column length
- temp gauge port and temp gauge
- 3" x 500mm long reflux condenser (removable with tri-clamps if required for pot still runs)
- 3"-2" reducer
- 2 X 2" 90 degree bends to lyne arm and product condenser
- 2" x 500mm long product condenser
- 2" - 1/2" reducer
- 1/2 - 1/4" reducer
- 1/4" spout

Tri clamps to suit each junction

A few questions and comments:

- how may tubes at what size for the reflux condenser (i want enough to be able to knock down the vapour at full power of a max of 4800w)
- how many tubes at what size for the product condenser (i want enough to be able to knock down the vapour at full power of a max of 4800w)
- will a column height of 1.5M when running in reflux be sufficient for production of Vodkas and neutrals
- can i use the existing 2" outlet on the keg and expand up to 3" for the column, or should i cut it out and weld a 3" ferrule onto the top of the keg?
- Is there a need to use the concentric reducing flutes, or can i use a simple manufactured or short reducer, apart from looks does it actually benefit in any way?
- I assume 304SS is fine
- I will be packing the column with copper mesh

With 2000w of operating power i should still get a vapour speed of 12.95".
GBarb

Return to Pot Stills