Finally

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Finally

Postby cdbrown » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Excellent work, that looks great.

A few questions
- you say it's a VM/LM combo but after reading the glossary of terms it looks like a LM only. Does it have something special in the pipes or config which makes it a hybrid still?
- any reason for not having a reducer on the inlet to the fancy alchometer holder? Wouldn't want to lose any of the precious liquid out of the condenser to the floor (unless it's a tribute to a fallen homie or considered the angels share?!?)

For my own benefit - could a union joint be installed between the two elbows at the top so you could adjust the angle of the condenser (and also just have it straight down when stored)? Also is there a specific angle the condenser should be at - I see a lot are welded/soft soldered so not sure whether they have already got the sweet spot or that it doesn't really matter.

Cheers
-cdbrown
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Finally

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Hey mate the vm/lm comment was that I have started building this not referring to the pot still the pot still is run basically off input not controlled by vm or lm.
Your also right it would have been very beneficial to have another connection to change the angle I will definitely do this on the next one.
As for the parrot that got built at the end of he night in about 15 minutes. I have since put a reducer on it but it's too big anyway (holds too much piss) need to go buy some reducers etc for the 1/4 inch I have
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Finally

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:55 pm

FINALLY got the 3 inch vm lm combo done and ready just started the cleaning run. Hopefully it doesn't leak
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343213691.250470.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343213737.815269.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Looks the goods mate, well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
how come your hiding it outside the Knock-Shop? :D
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:58 pm

nice setup there is that a spiral burner , kinda looks like db747 turned down :laughing-rolling:
@ kimbo : sounds like someones been hanging around the grubby parts a Freemantel :eusa-whistle:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby JayD » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:16 pm

Congrats on the build very nice...
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby R-sole » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:58 am

It will run a million times better with the column insulated. :-D
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Finally

Postby Sam. » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:12 am

Ha ha no one would be looking for a still at a whore house would they?

Yeah crow it's an Italian spiral burner from beer belly I highly recommend them.

5Star am getting some insulation from a mate today for a spirit run tonight didn't want it on there for the stripping run as I needed to check everything for leaks. It didn't leak by the way so all set for its first run should be interesting have never run anything with valves on it before.........

Thanks for the positive comments guys very much appreciated
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Frank » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:42 am

Hey S&L its an impressive looking new toy, for sure. Well done :clap:

Re insulation, I'd recommend you also consider a cutup 44gal drum 'sheath' for the boiler too. Mate it cant hurt esp. with all those naked flames in the vicinity of the takeoff. ;-)
How are you keeping the column from 'tipping over' btw?
Frank

Finally

Postby Sam. » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:14 am

Was thinking that frank as this has to be run outside as its over 3 Metres tall! The extra insulation would help it is always windy here

As for it not tipping over it doesn't tip over empty so it shouldn't tip over with a boiler charge. Having said that I wouldn't want to bump it too hard! Might be able to brace it to the verandah if I get too worried
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Finally

Postby Sam. » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:37 am

Maiden spirit run for the new rig complete. Didn't behave exactly as I anticipated but a good outcome none the less.

For the process when do you switch from lm to vm at the start? Going off taste and smell? Or wait until the temp finds its sweet spot?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 am

sam_and_liv wrote:Maiden spirit run for the new rig complete. Didn't behave exactly as I anticipated but a good outcome none the less.

For the process when do you switch from lm to vm at the start? Going off taste and smell? Or wait until the temp finds its sweet spot?

with mine, i generally just bleed the fores and heads thru the LM, close it up for another half hour to equalize again, then open up the VM valve. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Finally

Postby Sam. » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:04 am

Are the heads just taken off as a particular volume? Or do you go by temp? Or is it just when you can taste it going to hearts?

I guess it will become clearer when I do the cuts later this arvo
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby gavogr » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:27 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
5Star am getting some insulation from a mate today for a spirit run tonight didn't want it on there for the stripping run as I needed to check everything for leaks. It didn't leak by the way so all set for its first run should be interesting have never run anything with valves on it before.........

Hey there just curious what insulation you are using on the boiler?
Cheers
Gavin
gavogr

equipment: Modified 30 lt SS reflux still with a 1.2m Copper Head and DIY Heat control box.

Finally

Postby Sam. » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:30 pm

I don't have any on the keg boiler yet but on the column I have insulation that is used on piping underneath house slabs. Seems to do the trick you can get it at plumbing shops
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby gavogr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Cheers for that, might post later to see what people are insulating and what with.
Cheers
Gavin
gavogr

equipment: Modified 30 lt SS reflux still with a 1.2m Copper Head and DIY Heat control box.

Previous

Return to Pot Stills