Pot Still drip rate

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Pot Still drip rate

Postby Daylewce » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 am

Apologies if this is not the right thread but wondering if something like this will be ok to control my heat
https://www.5stardistilling.com/?s=Controller
I don't actually have a pot still head for my boiler but have converted an old still spirits super reflux to run as a pot still.
It does strip runs great just by turning it on and letting it go; but I want to do a spirit run using low wines made from Nutrigrain Whiskey recipe and need to run slower

Is it worth me eventually investing in Copper Alembic and Copper Dome

Let me know your thoughts, Cheers
Last edited by Doubleuj on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertising links
Daylewce

equipment: Turbo 500 Still; previously Super Reflux which I am considering modifying and using for Strip runs

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi Daylewce,

I have the Alembic head and dome to use as a pot still (as well as the reflux column). I joined here after I bought it and do agree with the folks on here that it's probably over-priced for what it does.

If I had my time again I would've ordered a FSD 2" pot still instead, because you can always use the parts to upgrade later on.

I'm going to order the power controller anyway, because the T500 pot still runs a bit too fast for my liking. It's probably OK for stripping runs, but way too fast for running a botanicals basket or a brown spirits run.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Daylewce » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:07 am

Thanks for the feedback Tesla101 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Daylewce

equipment: Turbo 500 Still; previously Super Reflux which I am considering modifying and using for Strip runs

Postby Tesla101 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:28 am

Daylewce wrote:Thanks for the feedback Tesla101 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No worries mate.

Oh BTW, just checked my stripping run notes. With a 25L TPW wash it takes about an hour for the boiler to heat up. Then I pulled 6L in just under 2 hours, so it's putting out over 3L/hour.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Previous

Return to Pot Stills